-  Image Collection

Langenhoe Church. Postcard published by M. Harrison, Post Office, Abberton.
From Rev. H.K. and Mrs Hudson, Wadham, West Mersea, to Mrs Repton Dixon. 
See CW2_PCD_002 for back of card.
Langenhoe Church was built from old materials two years after the 1884 earthquake. Following structural problems, it was demolished 1962. Photo: Carol Wyatt Collection
Peldon Home Guard photographed outside the Peldon Rose.
Back Row 1. Edgar Reynolds, 2. Vic Sheldrake L/Cpl, 3. Will Nicholas, 4. Bruce Rainbird, 5. Bert Inman, 6. John Starling, 7. Bob Brand L/Cpl, 8. Phil Nicholas, 9. Ted Martin L/Cpl. Centre Row 1. R. Strahl, 2. Charlie Mason, 3. James Purtell, 4. Bert Day, 5. Charlie Haines, 6. Billy Mason, 7. Luther Smith, 8. George Talbot, 9. Charlie Lapwood. Front Row 1. Bill Osborne ('Hoppy' - he had a wooden leg) Sgt, 2. Bunny Unwin Sgt, 3. Leo Smith Lt, 4. Basil (Ivan) Pullen 1st Lt, 5. Les Mole Sgt, 6. George Coates Sgt, 7. Bob Ponder Cpl. The mascot was a tame fox Renny held by B.I. Pullen. Hoppy Osborne was the dispatch rider. Ivan Pullen's family kept the Peldon Rose.
Large photo on mount, from West End Studios, Colchester. Back of photo says Photo including Mr Lee Micheal Smith c1944. Photo: Leo Michael-Smith Collection
Birch School staff, 1915 ?
L-R 1. Mrs Gill, 2. Miss Beck, 3. Mr John Gill, Headmaster, 4. Miss Nora Tosbell (later Pepper), 5. Mrs Edgar (wife of woodwork master), 6. ?
Photo 88 J.W. c1915. Photo: J.W.
The LORD WARDEN at Church Wharf Salcott unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty. 
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - caption is:
LORD WARDEN after a stack at Salcot, where the creek is now dammed. On this trip the LORD WARDEN's skipper met his future wife, and they were married in the church hard by. Their son has been named after the barge. Page 123 names the skipper as Jack Spitty and his son as Victa Warden Spitty.
LORD WARDEN was built Sandwich 1891 for William Jas. Hughes, Official No. 97705. She was later owned by Clem Parker at Bradwell and Wakeley Bros of Rainham. c1920.
The Victory Hotel in the 1920s when run by G.R. 'Ronnie' Hone. The open-top car is XH3810. XH registrations were issued in London March 1921 to January 1922.
</p><p>The note on the back says Owned by Gran before Sailing Club. 1920s. Photo: Wendy Woolley
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019