-  Image Collection

Howards Stores, run by Repton Dixon, decorated for the 1953 Coronation. On the north side of Church Road - the shop has changed, but [in 2012] the wisteria by the side of the window is still there. cJune 1953. Photo: Carol Wyatt Collection
Peldon Home Guard photographed outside the Peldon Rose.
</p><p>
No.3 (Peldon) Platoon - D Coy. - 18th. BN. Essex Home Guard
June 1940 - December 1944
</p><p>
Back Row 1. Pte. Edgar Reynolds, 2. L/Cpl. V.C. 'Vic' Sheldrake, 3. Pte. Will Nicholas, 4. Pte. W. Bruce Rainbird, 5. Pte. H. 'Bert' Inman, 6. Pte. John R. Starling, 7. L/Cpl R. 'Bob' Brand, 8. Cpl. Phil Nicholas, 9. L.Cpl. E. 'Ted' Martin. 
Centre Row 1. Pte. R.A. Strahl, 2. Pte. Charlie Mason, 3. Pte. James C. Purtell, 4. Pte A.B. 'Bert' Day, 5. Pte. J.C. 'Charlie' Heynes [Haines], 6. Pte. W. 'Billy' Mason, 7. Pte. Luther Smith, 8. Pte. George Talbot, 9. Pte. Charlie Lapwood. 
Front Row 1. Sgt. A.W. 'Bill' Osborne ('Hoppy' - he had a wooden leg), 2. Sgt. F.G. 'Bunny' Unwin, 3. Lt. L.F. 'Leo' Michael-Smith Lt, 4. Lt. Basil (Ivan) Pullen 1st Lt, 5. Sgt. Les Mole, 6. Sgt. George Coates, 7. Cpl. R. 'Bob' Ponder. 
</p><p>
The following were not resent when the photograph was taken: L/Cpl. H.E. Bass, Ptes. A.B. Balls, E.R. Balls, W.H. Balls, A.B. Carter, C.C. Collins, W. Knight, J. Knight, O. Neville, J.W. Pratt, F. Purtell.
</p><p>
The mascot was a tame fox Renny held by B.I. Pullen. Hoppy Osborne was the dispatch rider. Ivan Pullen's family kept the Peldon Rose.
Large photo on mount, from West End Studios, Colchester. Back of photo says Photo including Mr Lee Michael Smith. But there is a large mounted photograph with a full caption in the Peldon Rose cDecember 1944. Photo: Leo Michael-Smith Collection
S.C. White & Co., Peldon shop. The delivery van is from Colne Confectionery, St Botolphs Street, Colchester. Registration NO2156 - NO registrations were issued in Essex from January 1921 to July 1923. On the side it advertises Packham's Delicious Sweets. After 1921. Photo: Pat Wyncoll
Regatta Day No.3, West Mersea. Postcard by Hammond, Great Totham. August 1911.
The urn and cremated bones from Mersea Barrow, back in Mersea after 100 years. The green glass urn was made by the Romans, about 1,900 years ago. The urn was taken to Colchester 25 May 1912 after the excavation of the Barrow, and returned to Mersea on loan from Colchester Museum 23 April 2012.
Hazzledine Warren records the bowl as being height 11 6/16 inches, diameter 12 14/16 inches, opening of mouth 3 2/16 inches, across ring 7 2/16 inches, width of ring 2 inches, thickness of sides 1/16 inch. 23 April 2012. Photo: Tony Millatt
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

-

Brian Jay

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020