-  Image Collection

Maldon Hythe on a summer afternoon about 1957.
The smacks include MN21 MAUD and MN23. The barge NELLIE PARKER is on the blocks in the distance. Smoke from Sadd's sawmills drifts across the horizon. c1957. Photo: Douglas Went
Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the High Street.
Berry's brown buses were one of the first local independent bus operators - A.W. Berry & Sons Ltd, with headquarters in Port Lane, Colchester. They sold out to Eastern National in 1937.
Bus no. LC4803. This photo is on a postcard posted August 1910. 
Mr A. Berry had started a service to the island in 1903, with a 13 seater wagonette.
Proprietor of the White Hart Hotel is A.H. Went.
Used in A Short History of Mersea by Elsie Karbacz, which dates the picture as 1905.
In a letter in 1962, A.S. Berry (son of A.W. Berry) says it is one of a pair of Melnes Daimler 36 seat double deckers purchased in 1905. They ran until about 1912. He estimates the picture as 1910-11. See <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=EC62_AWB>EC62_AWB </a>. c1910.
David Mussett painting the weathervane pole on top of West Mersea Church tower. David had previously shinned up the pole to put the weathervane in its hole 1985. Photo: David Mussett Collection
The LORD WARDEN at Church Wharf Salcott unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty. 
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - caption is:
LORD WARDEN after a stack at Salcot, where the creek is now dammed. On this trip the LORD WARDEN's skipper met his future wife, and they were married in the church hard by. Their son has been named after the barge. Page 123 names the skipper as Jack Spitty and his son as Victa Warden Spitty.
LORD WARDEN was built Sandwich 1891 for William Jas. Hughes, Official No. 97705. She was later owned by Clem Parker at Bradwell and Wakeley Bros of Rainham. c1920.
HK 5085 - a Primrose Buses Mersea charabanc in Stanwell Street by the Roman wall. The driver is Bob Woodward. Probably before 1926 as the St John's Street bus park was opened that year. Before then, the buses stood outside the Hippodrome in High Street, but were limited to 15 minutes there. Otherwise they would use Stanwell Street for parking.
From one of the slide shows run in the Museum during open hours. 1926. Photo: Janet Woodward Collection
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

-

Brian Jay

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020