Parish Church of Saint Stephen. M. Great Wigborough.
Short History by T.B. Millatt, probably done in the 1960s.
12th Century. Stone Ornament in splay of south doorway
13th Century. First Recorded Rector. Robert 1241.
14th Century. Nave and former chancel built. North Doorway (now blocked) & Rood Loft Staircase.
1372 Inquisition re Salcott Chapel
15th Century. South Porch and former W. Tower Built. Font. Bell by John Danyell. South Doorway. Door to Tower staircase Niche.
16th Century. The Reformation. Elizabethan Communion Cup & Cover. Paren Marriage Register from 1560: Burials from 1570.
Barking Abbey dissolved. 1555 Martyrs
17th Century. Brass to Henry Bullock, 1609. Baptism Register 1602. Floor slabs to Richard Wiseman 1616: Anne Marke, 1621: & Henry Bullock 1628.
18th Century. Morant, 1768, records:- The Church is of one pace with chancel leaded. In a tower of stone are two bells. It stands on the top of a hill - extensive prospect &c.
19th Century. 1884 earthquake damaged the church. 1885 tower rebuilt. 1890 chancel rebuilt. 1895 vestry added. 1898 pulpit.
1854 Church School built.
20th Century. 1903 S. Porch restored. 1919 new organ. 1929 new lectern. 1963 redecoration and installation of electric light.
Zeppelin L33 brought down.
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.