Image 25 of 44
The view east from Fullbridge, Maldon. To the left of the picture the barge JESS is laying alongside the mill of her owners H.T. Eve & Co, corn, seed, coal merchants and maltsters.
JESS was a local barge built nearby by John Howard in 1899. She had a comparatively short working which came to an end when laying barley laden in Harwich Harbour on the foggy night of October 14th 1934, she was hit by the SS MALINES and sunk. She was raised and taken to Pin Mill where her hull was used as a workshop/store. She was eventually broken up in the 1980s.
Further along the quay another barge is loaded with a high stack of hay on deck. She will soon leave for London where her cargo will be used for horse fodder.
Published in Maldon Life, October 2014
Photo: Ron Green Collection
Image ID RG07_037
Category 1 Barges
Category 2 Places-->Maldon
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.