Thames barges ADSEY and ENTERPRISE on the Rhine river at Remagen to load Apollinaris mineral water.
The wicker covered 1000 liter containers on the shore are the earliest packaging form for Apollinaris to be exported to Britain. This is a fairly old and unique picture.
ENTERPRISE was built in Harwich in 1874. The export to Britain started around this time.
It is difficult to date the picture accurately. Broadly between 1874 and 1890 [Rob Hoogenbos].
ADSEY registered Port of Faversham, the name on the stern is ADSEY MILTON.
Photograph received from Rob Hoogenbos, who received it from someone in Remagen.
ADSEY Official No. 47864 ADSEY of Faversham was built by Taylor at Sittingbourne in 1863. 64 tons Owned by Charles Wood of Milton in 1881 and by W.J.Mitchell of London in 1890 [The Big Barges]
9 April 1887 The ship ADSEY - on its way from London to Remagen - has been towed into Dover with loss of anchor and chain, its deck ripped open. On 27 of September 1887 she is reported in shipmovements to be going up the Rhine again to Remagen. [Dutch newspapers via Rob Hoogenbos - ROB_004].
The ADSEY under Walker & Howard's ownership was abandoned and lost 8 April 1891 10 miles SW of North Hinder L.V. on passage Remagen - London with Appolinaris water. Crew landed at Flushing. Master F. Lazell. [John White].
'Nieuws van de Dag' (literally News of the day) April 9, 1891 translation:
Flushing, 9 April. The ship ADSEY, Captain Layzell, from Rotterdam destined for London, towed by tug SAMSON, abandoned by crew in a sinking state, crew brought ashore here by SAMSON [Dutch newspaper via Rob Hoogenbos - ROB_005.]
Official No. 67260, ENTERPRISE of Harwich was built by Vaux at Harwich in 1874 71 tons Owned 1881 - 1893 by G.Walker, London 1910 by G.T.Walker and 1919 (still as a ketch) by The London and Rochester Barge Co Ltd. Rochester. Out of register by 1934 [The Big Barges]
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.