Birch Church of England School History
1847 'A neat school of white brick' built by Charles Gray Round and opened for the children of Birch
1857 Agreement with Council of Education & Lords of Treasury re grant.
1871 Classroom enlarged by Mrs Emma Sarah Round
1877 Layer Breton children admitted as school there closed
1911 School enlarged & modernised by James Round. Craft Room.
1926 Layer Marney children admitted as school there closed
1931 Classroom &c. added by Charles James Round & senior children (11+) transferred from Copford, Layer de la Haye, Salcott & Wigborough
1933 Wigborough juniors transferred as school there closed
1937 Salcott-w-Virley juniors transferred as school there closed
1938 Visit of the President of the Board of Education - Lord Stanhope
1939 Outbreak of War: 80 evacuees from Chingford & Bethnal Green
1941 'Rest Centre' (now Canteen) erected. Air raid shelters
1945 School meals started & kitchen built.
1946 'Ministry' classroom built ; school leaving age to 15
1947 Centenary celebrations and publication of history of the school
1957 New staffroom, corridor, toilet block &c. Seniors transferred to new Secondary Schools at Stanway and Tiptree. Reorganisation to Primary and Infants School
1985 Dedication of new Hall and buildings
By T.B. Millatt