Birch Church. From a drawing made in February 1849.
Great and Little Birch had each a separate church, but Little Birch Church was disused long ago. Its ruins stand in the grounds of Birch Hall. The church of Great Birch became the parish church for both the parishes. The ancient building here was removed in 1850, when a new church was built.
We are indebted to Mrs Douglass Round, of Birch, for permission to reproduce these two interesting sketches.
[In 2015, the 'new' church mentioned above has been derelict for some time, and is threatened with demolition.]
Date: February 1849
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.