Harvest of Fruit.
Women's Institutes have been entrusted by the Government with fruit preservation, and Birch and Layer Breton has become one of the many fruit centres in Essex.
Under the chairmanship of Mrs Frank Hutton, the work was started in July with the plum crop
Mrs Frank Hutton, Mrs Gill, Mrs Church and Mrs Macaulay returned from a three-day course of training at the Institute of Agriculture with expert's certificates.
Under their guidance 32 helpers commenced work in the unused kitchens at Birch Hall (kindly lent by Capt C.J. Round).
Quite 2½ tons of surplus fruit was saved from waste, and 4,000 lbs of jam and jelly made. Over 1,000 cans and 200 bottles of fruit were stored.
[ See BOX005_009_P121 for a picture ]
Essex County Standard 2 November 1990
From Round of Birch Hall by T.B. Millatt
Date: 5 November 1940