Kelly's Essex Directory 1882
|Copies of pages for East and West Mersea, Birch, Inworth, Layer Breton, Layer de la Hay, Layer Marney, Langenhoe, Messing, Peldon, Great and Little Wigborough, Salcott, Tiptree Heath, Tollesbury, Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Tolleshunt Knights, Tolleshunt Magna and Virley.
Contains a description of the village and its community, list of local officials and traders.
This and other Kelly's Directories are online at http://www.historicaldirectories.org
Kelly's 1882 Directory - East Mersea and West Mersea.
MERSEA ( the Marsh Isle ) lies 10 miles south from Colchester station, about 6 miles from Wivenhoe station and 61 from London, between the mouths of the rivers Colne and Blackwater and is separated from the mainland by Pyefleet creek, famous for its oysters, a causeway on the north side called the "Strode" or "Stroude", which is dry at low water, affording the necessary means of communication; the length of Mersea from north-east to south-west is about 5 miles, its greatest breadth about 2: it possesses many natural beauties, is well wooded and diversified with hill and dale.
On the sea coast the shore is bold and commanding, but northwards flat at shelving and skirted by salt marshes; the island farms are divided by thick hedge-rows and the enclosed fields generally small: the springs are excellent.
It is divided into two parishes - East and West Mersea - and is in the Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree union, Colchester county court district, Mersea rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry and St. Albans diocese; the whole island being defended by a dyke or sea-wall. The area is 5,322 acres; the population of the island in 1881 was 1,362.
National School (mixed), built in 1860, for 80 children with average attendance of 40.
Goddard Rev. Wm. Hy. M.A. Rectory
Mustard John, Reeves Hall
Cockrell William Worledge, Farmer, East Mersea Hall farm
Cant Samuel, farmer, Ivy house
Death George, carrier
Gunn John, farmer
Mead Samuel, Dog and Pheasant
Prentice Edward, farmer, North farm
Wood Moses, farmer
Woodward John, farmer
Gatrill Rev. James Matcham [ curate ]
Green Hugh, Strood
Musselwhite Rev. Thomas Ralph M.A. [ vicar, surrogate & rural dean ]
Shaw William, Rose Bank cottage
Ames James Stuck, baker & farmer
Bacon John, farmer
Boley Thomas, farmer, Haycock's farm
Brand George, Victory, & oyster merchant, Barrow Hill farm
Cock Charles, farmer & landowner, Lackesley hall
Cock Daniel, farmer, Brick house
Cock John Reuben, farmer, Weathercock farm
Cook Elijah Longstaff, oyster merchant
Cudmore George, carrier
Eagle Hy. Jn. coal mer. Strood Wharf
Green Hugh, surgeon, Strood
Hempstead James, grocer & oyster merchant
Howard Adarm, oyster merchant
Ladbrook Emma ( Miss ), grocer
Ladbrook John Carter, bricklayer
Mason Geo. farmer, Bower Hall farm
May Henry John, oyster merchant
Munson Joseph, blacksmith
Munson Robert, wheelwright
Munson William, Fox
Neville Abraham, boot & shoe maker
Page James, farmer, Bocking hall
Pullen Elijah, seed grower
Pullen George, jun. Rose
Rudlin William, carrier
Sach James, carrier
Smith George Frederick, miller & baker
Smith James, beer retailer & shopkeeper
Smith James, boot & shoe maker
Traveller William Henry, White Hart
White Wm. & Son, farmers & grocers
Wyatt Thomas, shipwright
Coastguard William Larman, Chief Officer
National School: John Thorpe, Master. Harriet Thorpe, Mistress.
Wesleyan School: Miss Agnes Rees, Mistress.
Kelly's 1882 Directory - Langenhoe
Lord Carlingford, who is lord of the manor, T.B. Pertwee esq. and Jas. Alfred Wright are the principal landowners.
Pewett Island, in the creek between Mersea Island and the mainland, contains some 40 or 50 acres of marsh and belongs to Lord Carlingford.
National School built 1878 for about 50 children, mistress Mrs Susan Perry
Parish Clerk, John Greenleaf
Parinson Rev. William M.A. Rectory
Brand Robert, coal dealer
Goody Arthur Joseph, Red Lion
Hughes Robert, boot & shoe maker
Pertwee Thomas Barnard, landowner & farmer, Langenhoe lodge
Wright James Alfred, landowner & farmer, Crouch house
Kelly's 1882 Directory - Peldon or Peltington.
The principal landowners are Mrs Burgess, James Leigh Aspinwall, G.W. Gibson and John Pratt esqs.
Parish Clerk, William Pooley
Post Office - Mrs Sarah Cooper, receiver.
National School, built 1836 and enlarged in 1881 for 100 children. Miss Temperance Vince, mistress.
Carrier to Colchester - Geo. Christmas, to the 'Plough'.
Hall Rev. Carter M.A. Rectory
Bawtree Francis, farmer, The Cottage
Bean Alexander, farmer, Peldon hall
Cocks Daniel, farmer
Eagle Henry John, farmer, Peet hall
Fairhead Wm., farmer, Brick House farm
Harvey Elijah, beer retailer & farmer
Holland Golden, farmer, Haxell's farm
Neville Thomas, farmer, Rolls farm
Nice Edward, Plough
Osborne John, farmer
Pasfield John, grocer
Pullen George, Rose
Simpson Charles, poulterer
Theobald James, baker
Went William, miller
White William & Son, grocers
Wilsmer George, farm bailiff for Mrs Burgess, Peldon lodge
Kelly's 1882 Directory --- Tollesbury.
Carriers to Colchester Ucal Weavers, George Anthony
Carriers to Maldon William Harvey
Carriers to Kelvedon George Anthony
Kelly's 1882 Directory - Great and Little Wigborough. Page 331.
Sir William Charles Neville Abdy, bart., is lord of Barn Hall. The principal landowners are Mr Charles Hutley and Mr Charles Harvey.
Parish Clerk James Cadman.
National School built 1854 for 60 children, Miss Julia Foddy, Mistress.
Watson Rev. Frederick M.A. Rectory
Abbott William, farmer
Alen Samuel, farmer
Balls John, beer retailer
Bonner Matthew, farmer
Cause Maris Shuttleworth (Mrs), King's Head, & harness maker
Clark Thomas, shopkeeper
Cook John, wheelwright
Fairweather Samuel, farm bailiff to Rev. John Papillon, of Lexden, Seabrough & Moulsham farms
Harvey Chas., farmer, landowner & corn merchant
Hyam Samuel, hawker
Hutley Charles, farmer & landowner, Abbots hall
Pilgrim Thomas, farm bailiff to Mr. Richard Keeble
Wilton John, farmer.
The manor and land chiefly belong to the Governors of Charterhouse, London.
Sexton, John Wright.
National School built 1875 for about 50 children. Miss Ada Whatham, mistress.
Carter Challis, farmer, Copt Hall
Cock John Reuben, farmer
Wright John, farmer
Source: Mersea Museum