1. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
2. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
3. Danish schooner NEPTUN loaded with ice from Norway to Colchester. Thence, in ballast, to St. Johns, Newfoundland, for cargo of fish. 40 day voyage probably....
Image ID BOXL_051_001_001
4. Everard's SEDULITY unloading coal at Colchester Gas Works. A photograph taken from the top of the gasometer by Colin Hoare, who was Mate on her at the...
Image ID CLH_001
5. Turkeys for sale at Hearsum's fish shop in Crouch Street, Colchester. Thought to be a pre-WW2 photograph - Leslie Boddington worked there.
There is a 2008...
Date: Before 1940
Image ID DBO_207
6. Barge DAWN at Colchester Hythe c1901. Charles and Daniel Hales, the local hufflers, are walking and hauling on a light line made fast to the mast.
Image ID HBC_004_002
7. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Probably barge VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Moler Works in...
Date: Before 1956
Image ID HBC_004_006
8. Barge VENTA at Colchester Hythe. Photo marked non-copyright and addressed to Hervey Benham, HMS Vernon, Portsmouth.
Hervey sailed as Mate on the VENTA at...
Image ID HBC_009_026
9. WILL EVERARD at Colchester Hythe.
Date: June 1948
Image ID HBC_013_010
10. Postcard of Colchester Hythe before 1908. Barges ESTHER (one of at least 3), Marriages LANDRAIL (stern), Owen Parry's VERA and steamship GEM Official No. 81975.
Date: Before 1908
Image ID HBC_018_003
11. GILLATION at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Built 1964 by London and Rochester Trading, at Strood.
Image ID SHP_STC_602
12. Colchester Hythe. BRITISH EMPIRE loading straw. Nearest barge is the ALARIC.
Image ID PA1_RG1_AB05_RON257
13. Barge MAID OF THE MILL at East Mills, Colchester.
Image ID RG010008
14. Owen Parry Ltd., Oil Mills, Colchester. Postcard dated 29 December 1905 with prices for "Parry" Linseed Cakes and "Parry" Cotton Cakes on the back.
Date: Before December 1905
Image ID RG03_641
15. Unrigged barge LEOFLEDA at East Mills, Colchester. The barge was owned by Marriages - who owned the mills.
Image ID RG04_011
16. Colchester Hythe. A coaster on the left, several barges beyond. View looking upstream towards Hythe Bridge.
The vessel on the left is unidentified. It...
Image ID RG06_077
17. ANDESCOL at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Built 1961 Hoogezand. Registered Colchester. In London & Rochester colours.
Image ID SHP_STC_604
18. BANDICK loading grain at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Beyond her, extreme left, is the COLNE DREDGER.
Image ID SHP_STC_608
19. TRILBY (left) and BRANDRAM at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s.
TRILBY was built Rochester in 1896 as a sailing barge. Official No. 106527. Like several of...
Image ID SHP_STC_610
20. LODELLA at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. IMO No. 7039555, built 1970 and owned by London & Rochester Trading Company. The barge astern is thought to be...
Image ID SHP_STC_624
21. MAGUDA at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. IMO 5217232, built 1959 Hoogezand, 220 tons gross.
When Francis & Gilders of Colchester, London & Rochester...
Image ID SHP_STC_626
22. PIA at Colchester, date unknown. IMO 5108845 built 1950 Sietas as ESTE. Named PIA 1976 to 1983.
Image ID SHP_STC_633
23. POLYTHENE at Colchester, date unknown. IMO No. 5281647, built 1949 330 grt.
Image ID SHP_STC_636
24. VERALIL at Colchester Hythe in the 1980s. IMO 7321453 built 1973 299 tons gross. Renamed ERRIA 1983.
24 Jul 2010 Jens Peter Nielsen wrote:
This was my...
Image ID SHP_STC_644
25. WALL BROOK at Colchester Hythe, gasworks quay, date unknown. Built 1940, 244 tons gross. Sunk as a target off Wainfleet after March 1999.
Image ID SHP_STC_646
26. Everard's FRIVOLITY at Colchester Gas Works. FRIVOLITY was a war-time standard vessel, 410 gross tons, built 1944 at Goole Shipbuilding as EMPIRE FASHION,...
Date: 18 May 1958
Image ID TM580001
27. Everard's SOCIALITY leaving Colchester Hythe, having delivered a cargo to Colchester Gasworks. SOCIALITY was built in Holland in 1953 as JUNE B and bought by...
Date: 7 June 1959
Image ID TM580006
28. Everard's SEDULITY passing Rowhedge on one of many trips to Colchester Hythe. Coal for Colchester Gas Works was a regular trade for Everard's small coasters and...
Date: 1 June 1958
Image ID TM580010
29. Auxiliary barge WILL EVERARD and coaster SEDULITY at Colchester Gas Works.
WILL EVERARD built of steel at Fellows, Great Yarmouth, 1925, Official No....
Date: 24 March 1962
Image ID TM62_0006
| || |