1. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
2. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
3. Barges in the snow at Colchester Hythe. Ice on the river - the view is down the Colne from Hythe Bridge. The barge nearest is FLEUR DE LIS and on the opposite...
Image ID BF68_001_129_002
4. Barges at Colchester Hythe. [DW]
Douglas Went saw the Indian summer of the sailing barge and this photograph of Colchester Hythe in the 1930s shows nine...
Image ID BOXB5_012_011
5. Danish schooner NEPTUN loaded with ice from Norway to Colchester. Thence, in ballast, to St. Johns, Newfoundland, for cargo of fish. 40 day voyage probably....
Image ID BOXL_051_001_001
6. Everard's SEDULITY unloading coal at Colchester Gas Works. A photograph taken from the top of the gasometer by Colin Hoare, who was Mate on her at the...
Image ID CLH_001
7. Turkeys for sale at Hearsum's fish shop in Crouch Street, Colchester. Thought to be a pre-WW2 photograph - Leslie Boddington worked there.
There is a 2008...
Date: Before 1940
Image ID DBO_207
8. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe. CK134 DIANA.
Image ID GRD_AB1_048_005
9. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe. CK134 DIANA.
Image ID GRD_AB1_049_001
10. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe. CK134 DIANA.
Image ID GRD_AB1_049_005
11. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe. CK134 DIANA.
Image ID GRD_AB1_049_007
12. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe - CK137 ALVIC
Image ID GRD_AB1_052_001
13. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe - CK137 ALVIC
Image ID GRD_AB1_052_007
14. Landing sprats at Colchester Hythe - CK137 ALVIC.
Image ID GRD_AB1_052_017
15. Barge DAWN at Colchester Hythe c1901. Charles and Daniel Hales, the local hufflers, are walking and hauling on a light line made fast to the mast.
Image ID HBC_004_002
16. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Probably barge VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Moler Works in...
Date: Before 1956
Image ID HBC_004_006
17. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Barge is unloading timber and is probably VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Image ID HBC_004_007
18. Sailing barge LADY HELEN towing away from Colchester Hythe. Official No. 114844.
Image ID HBC_004_008
19. MAYLAND of Maldon starts the long 'poke' up to East Mills, Colchester. Official No. 82399.
Dutch coaster ORION of Hansweert moored ahead.
Image ID HBC_004_009
20. Barge VENTA at Colchester Hythe. Photo marked non-copyright and addressed to Hervey Benham, HMS Vernon, Portsmouth.
Hervey sailed as Mate on the VENTA at...
Image ID HBC_009_026
21. WILL EVERARD at Colchester Hythe.
Date: June 1948
Image ID HBC_013_010
22. Postcard of Colchester Hythe before 1908. Barges ESTHER (one of at least 3), Marriages LANDRAIL (stern), Owen Parry's VERA and steamship GEM Official No. 81975.
Date: Before 1908
Image ID HBC_018_003
23. GILLATION at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Built 1964 by London and Rochester Trading, at Strood.
Image ID SHP_STC_602
24. Colchester Hythe. BRITISH EMPIRE loading straw. Nearest barge is the ALARIC.
Image ID PA1_RG1_AB05_RON257
25. Barge MAID OF THE MILL at East Mills, Colchester.
Image ID RG010008
26. Owen Parry Ltd., Oil Mills, Colchester. Postcard dated 29 December 1905 with prices for "Parry" Linseed Cakes and "Parry" Cotton Cakes on the back.
Date: Before December 1905
Image ID RG03_641
27. Back of postcard from Owen Parry Ltd, Oil Mills, Colchester. See ...
Date: Before December 1905
Image ID RG03_642
28. Colchester Hythe with the Gas Woprks in the background. COLNE DREDGER, barge LEOFLEDA or BRITISH EMPIRE ? Lighter named the CROCUS.
COLNE DREDGER was built...
Image ID RG04_005
29. Unrigged barge LEOFLEDA at East Mills, Colchester. The barge was owned by Marriages - who owned the mills.
Image ID RG04_011
30. Colchester Hythe. A coaster on the left, several barges beyond. View looking upstream towards Hythe Bridge.
The vessel on the left is unidentified. It...
Image ID RG06_077