121. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton.
Image ID DW14_005
122. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton. Ploughing the lawns.
Image ID DW14_007
123. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton. Ploughing the lawns
Image ID DW14_009
124. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton.
Image ID DW14_011
125. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton.
Image ID DW14_013
126. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton ?
Image ID DW14_017
127. WW1 soldiers lined up, with an impressive row of vehicles behind them.
Image ID DW14_019
128. Nurses and soldiers - at Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton ?
Image ID DW14_021
129. WW1 Army Lorry. L18..
Image ID DW14_023
130. WW1 wounded soldiers and nurses in a trench. The story behind this is not known. At Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton ?
Image ID DW14_025
131. Pressented by "The Kaiser" 12th Sep 1915.
Date: 12 September 1915
Image ID DW14_027
132. Brightlingsea Nov. 1918. Armistice Parade ?
Date: November 1918
Image ID DW14_029
133. Souvenir de Salonique [Salonica in Greece]
Image ID DW14_031
134. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for ...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
135. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it ...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
136. Youngest of the Few: Historian uncovers story of Mersea teenager killed in Battle of Britain. By Charley Goff.
The youngest pilot to fly in the Battle ...
Date: 21 September 2018
Image ID ECS_2018_SEP21_024
137. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a ...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005
138. Frederick Bertrand Harnack RSMA God Bless Him 17 yrs (LRB) stretcher bearer RNVR Lt at 45 in 1942.
Used in Fid Harnack RSMA, published by Mersea Island ...
Image ID FID_003_055
139. Zebedee Milgate, George Milgate, Johnny Hempstead (Mechanic), Sid Milgate (Painter).
Picture taken at the bottom of Kingsland Road near Stoker's Cafe ( ...
Date: cAugust 1946
Image ID FL01_069_001
140. Army at Port Bower on Yorick Road during WW1. L-R Gert French, Ethel French, Billy French, Alice Hewes, Norah French (née Gant) Bert French.
Mr & ...
Image ID FL02_046_002
141. "Wartime" 1917 Mersea Isle. Snuffy Cornelius's cycle shop on Kingsland Road, now RST Motors.
Frank Cornelius, Mabel Tiffin (lived over the road in what in ...
Image ID FL02_058_001
142. Ernie Mussett, 1919, Iraq. He worked for Appleby the Mersea butcher.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_025_001
143. West Mersea Fire Brigade - the wartime AFS fire engine.
L-R Oscar Whiting, Ernie Dixon, Gordon Mussett, Bob Russell, HoraceWhiting and Bob ...
Image ID FL04_038_001
144. Mr Henry Pullen, brother of Mrs Tom 'Boss' Mole. Killed in action 1914/18 War.
Henry William Pullen was born 1877, son of Henry William and Julia ...
Image ID FL05_028_003
145. Owen Kitchener 'Tich' Hewes worked in a shipyard in Chichester. Owen believes 'Tich' was killed by a mine in the River Blackwater on a part of the river that ...
Image ID FL07_004_001
146. One of many Second World War gun emplacements. This is the only survivor on the promenade and is now called "Two Sugars". To the left of this building linked by ...
Image ID FL08_014_003
147. Mersea Seed Growers in WW1, outside Bocking Hall.
L-R 1. Lucy Hoy, 2., 3. Tot Green née Hewes (Heck's mother), 4. ?, 5. Mable Benns, 6., ...
Image ID FL10_029_001
148. Mr Fred Sales, father of Reg, Tom, Alfred, Walter and Doris. Fred was a farrier on the Island.
From Album 10.
Image ID FL10_043_001
149. Newspaper cuttings 1941-42
28 June 1941 Death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes or Royal Engineers. Also mentions the death of his sister Kate (Mrs ...
Image ID FL14_011
150. It is with regret we record the death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes, of the Royal Engineers. "Tich" as he was affectionately called by all who knew him, was a ...
Date: 28 June 1941
Image ID FL14_011_006