61. Private Alfred George Baldwin
9th Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment)
Killed in action in France 24th March 1918 aged ...
Date: 24 March 1918
Image ID ARB_AGB_001
62. Private Arthur George Whiting No. 260181.
1st & 8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.
Killed in action in Belgium 27 August 1917 aged 19 ...
Date: 27 August 1917
Image ID ARB_AGW_001
63. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
64. Bridge over the River Colne at Rowhedge.
From: Rowhedge photos and documents
Image ID BF70_001_025_001
65. Essex at War, compiled by the Editorial Staff of Essex County Standard and edited by Hervey Benham.
There is also a copy of this in Hervey Benham cupboard ...
Image ID BOX005_009_C001
66. Girls of the Royal Observer Corps 18 group inspected by Air-Commodore Finlay Crerar, CBE (Commandant R.O.C.) at Birch aerodrome, on stand-down.
Date: July 1945
Image ID BOX005_009_P105
67. Women's Institute jam-makers at Birch.
From Essex at War by Hervey Benham, page 121.
This is in the kitchen at Birch Hall. See ...
Date: cDecember 1940
Image ID BOX005_009_P121
68. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the ...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
69. Passed by Technical Reproduction Branch 18 Dec 1942. No Admiralty Objection to publication, signed, Captain R.N. Wivenhoe. [from back of photograph]
Date: 18 Dec 1942
Image ID BOXB5_014_001
70. FY PT 1011 just afloat at Wivenhoe. The yard boat stands by to help with mooring ropes and later in removal of sliding ways, poppets and other timber structure ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_022
71. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are ...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
72. A quiet interlude during war. Wooden motor minesweeper FY PT 1044 is towed to the fitting out berth after launch from Wivenhoe Shipyard Ltd., in 1943. The river ...
Date: 30 December 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_026
73. During the War at Wivenhoe. Part of "Mulberry" in the making on the River Colne. [DW]
The projected invasion of Normandy in June 1944 needed the ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_028
74. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
75. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
76. Barfield Road Cemetery Plot 82.
Dear Husband Robert Charles Cudmore who died 24 October 1933 aged 57 years
Also of his dear wife Ruth Cudmore who died ...
Date: 19 September 2019
Image ID CEM_BFD_0082_001
77. Ida Lilian Pavey Born 20 Sep 1886, died 26 May 1973
Wife and Mother
Ida South née Adnams
Born 1 Feb 1921 Died 24 Feb ...
Date: 21 September 2019
Image ID CEM_BFD_0489_001
78. The first Tollesbury volunteers. Postcard.
This photograph, taken outside the King's Head at Tollesbury, shows the first men from that village to volunteer ...
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_613
79. Bidding the Tollesbury Boys God Speed. Postcard.
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_617
80. Tollesbury Detachment. W.J. Juniper back row, 5th from left. Postcard.
Used in More from Tollesbury Past plate 56, which says the army detachment is ...
Image ID CG10_621
81. Bonfire for Peace Celebrations, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_623
82. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_625
83. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_627
84. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
85. Fred Harry Chatters, M/2 055360 Pte., 22 Fld. Amb., M.T. A.S.C.
On return from WW1, Fred became a driver with the Primrose Bus Company and went on with ...
Image ID CHS_003
86. Emmie and Tom (David John) Clarry.
17 July 1919 David John Clarry married Emily Gertrude Trim at West Mersea Parish Church. David John's occupation is ...
Image ID CHS_005
87. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph - presumably referring to two ...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
88. The War Memorial at Layer Cross, Layer de la Haye. It is a large gathering with a band in the background, and is thought to be for the dedication of the War ...
Image ID CLN_LDH_001
89. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph ...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
90. Men with the Colours from West Mersea
Date: 31 October 1914
Image ID CTC_021