91. More Men with the Colours
Date: 5 December 1914
Image ID CTC_051
92. Bessie and Pip. The notes on the back say:
The Red Setter Pip was blown up mine 1943. There were mines set all along Beach during War 1939 to 1945. Pip got ...
Image ID CW2_P09_015
93. Grace Stoker nee Cudmore and Joyce Stoker outside the Old Victory.
Image ID DB01_018_005
94. From Your loving Grandson Archie. 1916.
Archibald George Oliver (born Swansea 1897) nephew of Emily Brown (nee Oliver).
Service number 900/745670 ...
Image ID DB11_021
95. "With Best Love, Sid. 8:3:17"
[1918 Absent Voter list gives Sidney Stoker as 87829 Pte., 11th King's Liverpools]
Date: 8 March 1917
Image ID DB13_019
96. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 25 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
97. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
98. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002
99. 9 September 1939 The War.
Bert Saye begs to announce he is opening a business in Kingsland Road.
16 September 1939 Evacuation
A large ...
Date: 9 September 1939
Image ID DM1_AB2_067
100. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
101. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
102. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coast Defence Battery, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [ ...
Image ID DMC_001
103. Horace Mole on the right. Left unknown. Photograph by A.L. West & Co., Winchester.
Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince ...
Image ID DPR_001
104. Horace Mole. Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own ), Rfn 3581, enlisted 30 December 1909 and discharged 2 February ...
Image ID DPR_003
105. Harold Leighton Procter.
The Jan 1918 Absent Voters list has Harold as a Midshipman on HMS ARROGANT.
The 1919 list has him as a Sub Lieutenant on ...
Image ID DPR_005
106. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for ...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
107. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it ...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
108. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a ...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005
109. Frederick Bertrand Harnack RSMA God Bless Him 17 yrs (LRB) stretcher bearer RNVR Lt at 45 in 1942.
Used in Fid Harnack RSMA, published by Mersea Island ...
Image ID FID_003_055
110. Zebedee Milgate, George Milgate, Johnny Hempstead (Mechanic), Sid Milgate (Painter).
Picture taken at the bottom of Kingsland Road near Stoker's Cafe ( ...
Date: cAugust 1946
Image ID FL01_069_001
111. Army at Port Bower on Yorick Road during WW1. L-R Gert French, Ethel French, Billy French, Alice Hewes, Norah French (née Gant) Bert French.
Mr & ...
Image ID FL02_046_002
112. "Wartime" 1917 Mersea Isle. Snuffy Cornelius's cycle shop on Kingsland Road, now RST Motors.
Frank Cornelius, Mabel Tiffin (lived over the road in what in ...
Image ID FL02_058_001
113. Ernie Mussett, 1919, Iraq. He worked for Appleby the Mersea butcher.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_025_001
114. West Mersea Fire Brigade - the wartime AFS fire engine.
L-R Oscar Whiting, Ernie Dixon, Gordon Mussett, Bob Russell, HoraceWhiting and Bob ...
Image ID FL04_038_001
115. Mr Henry Pullen, brother of Mrs Tom 'Boss' Mole. Killed in action 1914/18 War.
Henry William Pullen was born 1877, son of Henry William and Julia ...
Image ID FL05_028_003
116. Owen Kitchener 'Tich' Hewes worked in a shipyard in Chichester. Owen believes 'Tich' was killed by a mine in the River Blackwater on a part of the river that ...
Image ID FL07_004_001
117. One of many Second World War gun emplacements. This is the only survivor on the promenade and is now called "Two Sugars". To the left of this building linked by ...
Image ID FL08_014_003
118. Mersea Seed Growers in WW1, outside Bocking Hall.
L-R 1. Lucy Hoy, 2., 3. Tot Green née Hewes (Heck's mother), 4. ?, 5. Mable Benns, 6., ...
Image ID FL10_029_001
119. Mr Fred Sales, father of Reg, Tom, Alfred, Walter and Doris. Fred was a farrier on the Island.
From Album 10.
Image ID FL10_043_001
120. Newspaper cuttings 1941-42
28 June 1941 Death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes or Royal Engineers. Also mentions the death of his sister Kate (Mrs ...
Image ID FL14_011