91. Fred Harry Chatters, M/2 055360 Pte., 22 Fld. Amb., M.T. A.S.C.
On return from WW1, Fred became a driver with the Primrose Bus Company and went on with ...
Image ID CHS_003
92. Emmie and Tom (David John) Clarry.
17 July 1919 David John Clarry married Emily Gertrude Trim at West Mersea Parish Church. David John's occupation is ...
Image ID CHS_005
93. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph - presumably referring to two ...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
94. The War Memorial at Layer Cross, Layer de la Haye. It is a large gathering with a band in the background, and is thought to be for the dedication of the War ...
Image ID CLN_LDH_001
95. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph ...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
96. Men with the Colours from West Mersea
Date: 31 October 1914
Image ID CTC_021
97. West Mersea men serving with the Colours
Date: 14 November 1914
Image ID CTC_041
98. More Men with the Colours
Date: 5 December 1914
Image ID CTC_051
99. Bessie and Pip. The notes on the back say:
The Red Setter Pip was blown up mine 1943. There were mines set all along Beach during War 1939 to 1945. Pip got ...
Image ID CW2_P09_015
100. WW1 Memorial Soldiers and sailors at the Strood. Sunrise over East Mersea. 5.45am.
Date: 25 August 2019
Image ID CWG_SOL_013
101. Grace Stoker née Cudmore and Joyce Stoker outside the Old Victory.
Image ID DB01_018_005
102. From Your loving Grandson Archie. 1916.
Archibald George Oliver (born Swansea 1897) nephew of Emily Brown (née Oliver).
Service number ...
Image ID DB11_021
103. "With Best Love, Sid. 8:3:17"
[1918 Absent Voter list gives Sidney Stoker as 87829 Pte., 11th King's Liverpools]
Date: 8 March 1917
Image ID DB13_019
104. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 25 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
105. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
106. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002
107. 9 September 1939 The War.
Bert Saye begs to announce he is opening a business in Kingsland Road.
16 September 1939 Evacuation
A large ...
Date: 9 September 1939
Image ID DM1_AB2_067
108. Lieut. Beadle, R.A, Miss Ruth Martin
The engagement is announced between Lieut. H.N. Beadle, R.A., elder son of Mr and Mrs Beadle of Woodside, Machester ...
Image ID DM1_AB3A_044_002
109. Funeral of Mr D.B. Cutts
Widespread scenes of smympathy attended the funeral of Mr Douglas (Jim) Cutts, which took place on Saturday afternoon. Officials ...
Date: 10 May 1941
Image ID DM1_AB3_013_007
110. Death of Pilot Officer
News has been received of the death of Pilot Officer Donald Dale, only son of Mrs Dale and the late Mr Arthur Dale, of Walnut Tree ...
Date: 6 September 1941
Image ID DM1_AB3_016_009
111. Obituary. Funeral of Accident Victims.
The funeral of Mr and Mrs Horace Stoker, whose tragic death occurred last week as the result of an accident, took ...
Date: cJune 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_020_011
112. Killed in Action. It is with regret we record the death of Peter Jack Martin (boy first-class) who was killed in action when his ship was damaged by enemy ...
Date: 31 October 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_023_001
113. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
114. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
115. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coast Defence Battery, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [ ...
Image ID DMC_001
116. Horace Mole on the right. Left unknown. Photograph by A.L. West & Co., Winchester.
Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince ...
Image ID DPR_001
117. Horace Mole. Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own ), Rfn 3581, enlisted 30 December 1909 and discharged 2 February ...
Image ID DPR_003
118. Harold Leighton Procter.
The Jan 1918 Absent Voters list has Harold as a Midshipman on HMS ARROGANT.
The 1919 list has him as a Sub Lieutenant on ...
Image ID DPR_005
119. 1st batch of Wounded with Drs and Nurses and Staff. Middx Homel Clacton.
[Middlesex Military War Hospital]
Date: 23 September 1914
Image ID DW14_001
120. Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton. Ploughing the lawns - nurses at work and officers watching.
Photograph probably by Douglas Went, but published by ...
Image ID DW14_003