Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      DUNVEGAN CASTLE
Arrived:25 November 1922
Departed:25 September 1923
Career:"Haven of Rest" by Douglas Gurton reports that the handsome DUNVEGAN CASTLE "closely followed GORDON CASTLE" which arrived 31 May 1922.
See DJG_SHP
However, passenger list in the National Archives suggest she arrived London 13 July 1922 from East Africa.
Scrapped 1924
Arrived 25 Nov 1922 departed 15 Sep 1923 [George Swieszkowski - Lloyds List]
Tonnage:5,958 gross
Built:1896
Type:Passenger cargo
Owner:Union Castle Line
Official No:105854
ID1105854

Off Tollesbury Pier with Steam Yacht CALA MARA in the foreground. The passenger ship behind her on the right is thought to be the Union Castle liner DUNVEGAN CASTLE.

 

 William William Frost of Tollesbury was captain of CALA MARA and the owner was Sir Richard Cooper. She was one of the larger yachts to have berthed in Woodrolfe Creek [Tollesbury to the Year 2000].

CALA MARA Steam yacht built Vickers, Barrow, 1898. 216 tons gross. Official No. 99942. Ex SEANYMPH, ex JEANNETTE. ... Date: c1923.

Above:  Off Tollesbury Pier with Steam Yacht CALA MARA in the foreground. The passenger ship behind her on the right is thought to be the Union Castle liner DUNVEGAN CASTLE. William William Frost of Tollesbury was captain of CALA MARA and the owner was Sir Richard Cooper. She was one of the larger yachts to have berthed in Woodrolfe Creek [Tollesbury to the Year 2000]. CALA MARA Steam yacht built Vickers, Barrow, 1898. 216 tons gross. Official No. 99942. Ex SEANYMPH, ex JEANNETTE. ... Date: c1923.
Source: Mersea Museum / Peter Bibby Collection

Birds Eye View, Tollesbury. Mell Lane? Postcard 96180 written 12 July 1937.

Laid up ships in the River Blackater - the ship on the right is thought to be DUNVEGAN CASTLE which arrived in the River November 1922 and was departed September 1923. Date: c1923.

Above:  Birds Eye View, Tollesbury. Mell Lane? Postcard 96180 written 12 July 1937. Laid up ships in the River Blackater - the ship on the right is thought to be DUNVEGAN CASTLE which arrived in the River November 1922 and was departed September 1923. Date: c1923.
Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Tollesbury


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020

";