-  Image Collection

West Mersea postcard. Photo: Tony Millatt Collection
High tide at the Strood before it was widened in 1931. Charabanc PU4434 on the left. YK9043 on the right. Before 1931. Photo: Susan Luckham Collection
Birch Church of England School. An aerial view, late 1950s. The staff room to the north of the main building was added in 1957, together with new toilets. The previous toilets had been behind the main building and used buckets, emptied by the school caretaker. The sewerage plant for the new toilets is to the northwest, just beyond the Air Raid Shelters. The car in front of the staff room is probably the Headmaster's Morris Minor MXO419.
The top of the War Memorial Cross and the church spire just show at the bottom of the picture.
Photo 39 B.S. After 1957. Photo: Birch School
1961/62 Midland Area Sea Cadets Cup Final - Mersea Winners. Football Team.
Back row L-R 1. John Sales, 2. John Vince, 3. Peter Saye Keeper, 4. David Smith, 5. Nick Mussett
Left just visible Brian Macdonald
Front L-R 1. Ian Macdonald, 2. Peter Jones with Cup, 3. Bill Mole with Cup and ball, 4. Peter Sales, 5. John Farthing. c1962.
HK 5085 - a Primrose Buses Mersea charabanc in Stanwell Street by the Roman wall. The driver is Bob Woodward. Probably before 1926 as the St John's Street bus park was opened that year. Before then, the buses stood outside the Hippodrome in High Street, but were limited to 15 minutes there. Otherwise they would use Stanwell Street for parking.
From one of the slide shows run in the Museum during open hours. 1926. Photo: Janet Woodward Collection
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art

Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mussett

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

Museum
-

History

-

Fair Haven


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War

Weather
Yachts and yachting

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2018