-  Image Collection

Langenhoe Church. Postcard published by M. Harrison, Post Office, Abberton.
From Rev. H.K. and Mrs Hudson, Wadham, West Mersea, to Mrs Repton Dixon. 
See CW2_PCD_002 for back of card.
Langenhoe Church was built from old materials two years after the 1884 earthquake. Following structural problems, it was demolished 1962. Photo: Carol Wyatt Collection
Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the High Street.
Berry's brown buses were one of the first local independent bus operators - A.W. Berry & Sons Ltd, with headquarters in Port Lane, Colchester. They sold out to Eastern National in 1937.
Bus no. LC4803. This photo is on a postcard posted August 1910. 
Mr A. Berry had started a service to the island in 1903, with a 13 seater wagonette.
Proprietor of the White Hart Hotel is A.H. Went.
Used in A Short History of Mersea by Elsie Karbacz, which dates the picture as 1905.
In a letter in 1962, A.S. Berry (son of A.W. Berry) says it is one of a pair of Melnes Daimler 36 seat double deckers purchased in 1905. They ran until about 1912. He estimates the picture as 1910-11. See <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=EC62_AWB>EC62_AWB </a>. c1910.
Dabchicks first rescue boat during the 1962 Blackwater Barge Match. 
L-R Franki Drinkall, Dad & Mum Drinkall, Bev Drinkall.
Laid up Shell tanker in the background.
West Mersea Post Office in Yorick Road, with the White Hart just visible on the right. The notice on the front says Post Office for Money Orders, Savings Bank, Parcel Post, Telegraph, Insurance.

Telegram boy Reg Jay on bicycle waiting outside - he was Telegram Boy for Ashton Turner, the postmaster. The wage was six pence and for that he was expected to deliver anywhere on the Island including East Mersea [BJ].
He has his black leather pouch attached to his belt. His left foot resting on a step which was attached to the back spindle. I remember in my young days several of the older men didn't cock their leg over the seat with one foot on the pedal, they scooted along with one foot on this step and lifted themselves onto the saddle from the back [RG].
Photograph before 1911 as the hedge etc is 'younger' than in the Cleghorn photograph from September 1911.
The building is now [2015] Barclays Bank. Before 1911. Photo: Peter Rudlin Collection
The urn and cremated bones from Mersea Barrow, back in Mersea after 100 years. The green glass urn was made by the Romans, about 1,900 years ago. The urn was taken to Colchester 25 May 1912 after the excavation of the Barrow, and returned to Mersea on loan from Colchester Museum 23 April 2012.
Hazzledine Warren records the bowl as being height 11 6/16 inches, diameter 12 14/16 inches, opening of mouth 3 2/16 inches, across ring 7 2/16 inches, width of ring 2 inches, thickness of sides 1/16 inch. 23 April 2012. Photo: Tony Millatt
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019