-  Image Collection

Ship Ahoy, Tollesbury. Gowers Postcard No.243 posted before 1910.
The 17th Century inn was formerly named 'The Crooked Billet', then variously as 'The Hoy' and the 'Ship Ahoy'. It was closed after the First World War. Once part of the Guisnes Court estate, it was a rendezvous for smugglers with their illicit cargoes. 
The building, along with Old Hall marshes, is now owned by RSPB, bought as a result of the Eric Morecambe Memorial Appeal in 1985.
Old Hall, Tollesbury. 
Ann Jones wrote (May 2014):
This was the home where my Great Grandfather Richard Banyard grew up. He was born in 1865. His parents were Richard Banyard and mother Sarah maiden name Walford, who also lived in Tollesbury. Young Richard was 8 when his mother died, and 14 when his father died in 1879 so we have not yet checked the census as to whether his father had already left the pub when he died. We do know that young Richard went to live with his uncle John Banyard who we think was a grocer in Tollesbury.
Photograph used in Tollesbury Past by Keith Lovell, plate 62. Before 1910. Photo: Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
High Street, West Mersea. Another copy of this card was posted September 1914 Before September 1914.
Birch Church of England School. An aerial view, late 1950s. The staff room to the north of the main building was added in 1957, together with new toilets. The previous toilets had been behind the main building and used buckets, emptied by the school caretaker. The sewerage plant for the new toilets is to the northwest, just beyond the Air Raid Shelters. The car in front of the staff room is probably the Headmaster's Morris Minor MXO419.
The top of the War Memorial Cross and the church spire just show at the bottom of the picture.
Photo 39 B.S. After 1957. Photo: Birch School
1961/62 Midland Area Sea Cadets Cup Final - Mersea Winners. Football Team.
Back row L-R 1. John Sales, 2. John Vince, 3. Peter Saye Keeper, 4. David Smith, 5. Nick Mussett
Left just visible Brian Macdonald
Front L-R 1. Ian Macdonald, 2. Peter Jones with Cup, 3. Bill Mole with Cup and ball, 4. Peter Sales, 5. John Farthing. c1962.
Harvesting in West Mersea with corn stooks standing in the field - in Mersea these were known as traves or traives. Looking across what is known in 2009 as the 'Legion Field', formerly known as Three Acres.
In the background is Barfield Road from what is now Lower 
Kingland Road to Melrose Road. The school is on the left - the belfry on the 'Old' school is still in place. The small bungalow with the sunshine on 
the roof to the right of the picture, was the home of the Whiting family 
for many years. The two pairs of cottages in the right half of the picture have been replaced by modern housing while the two in the centre of the picture remain the same shape but have been modernized.
One of the photographs used in Queen's Estates Souvenir brochure, advertising the sale on 24 August 1907 of a number of building plots in West Mersea. The brochure is in Mersea Museum archives. Before 24 August 1907.
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art

Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019