-  Image Collection

Maldon Hythe on a summer afternoon about 1957.
The smacks include MN21 MAUD and MN23. The barge NELLIE PARKER is on the blocks in the distance. Smoke from Sadd's sawmills drifts across the horizon. c1957. Photo: Douglas Went
Peldon Home Guard photographed outside the Peldon Rose.
</p><p>
No.3 (Peldon) Platoon - D Coy. - 18th. BN. Essex Home Guard
June 1940 - December 1944
</p><p>
Back Row 1. Pte. Edgar Reynolds, 2. L/Cpl. V.C. 'Vic' Sheldrake, 3. Pte. Will Nicholas, 4. Pte. W. Bruce Rainbird, 5. Pte. H. 'Bert' Inman, 6. Pte. John R. Starling, 7. L/Cpl R. 'Bob' Brand, 8. Cpl. Phil Nicholas, 9. L.Cpl. E. 'Ted' Martin. 
Centre Row 1. Pte. R.A. Strahl, 2. Pte. Charlie Mason, 3. Pte. James C. Purtell, 4. Pte A.B. 'Bert' Day, 5. Pte. J.C. 'Charlie' Heynes [Haines], 6. Pte. W. 'Billy' Mason, 7. Pte. Luther Smith, 8. Pte. George Talbot, 9. Pte. Charlie Lapwood. 
Front Row 1. Sgt. A.W. 'Bill' Osborne ('Hoppy' - he had a wooden leg), 2. Sgt. F.G. 'Bunny' Unwin, 3. Lt. L.F. 'Leo' Michael-Smith Lt, 4. Lt. Basil (Ivan) Pullen 1st Lt, 5. Sgt. Les Mole, 6. Sgt. George Coates, 7. Cpl. R. 'Bob' Ponder. 
</p><p>
The following were not resent when the photograph was taken: L/Cpl. H.E. Bass, Ptes. A.B. Balls, E.R. Balls, W.H. Balls, A.B. Carter, C.C. Collins, W. Knight, J. Knight, O. Neville, J.W. Pratt, F. Purtell.
</p><p>
The mascot was a tame fox Renny held by B.I. Pullen. Hoppy Osborne was the dispatch rider. Ivan Pullen's family kept the Peldon Rose.
Large photo on mount, from West End Studios, Colchester. Back of photo says Photo including Mr Lee Michael Smith. But there is a large mounted photograph with a full caption in the Peldon Rose cDecember 1944. Photo: Leo Michael-Smith Collection
Peldon Village Shop J.E. Page. Next door to the shop is Sunnyview, later replaced with Beaver's Lodge.

Car registration BB2171.
Harvesting in West Mersea with corn stooks standing in the field - in Mersea these were known as traves or traives. Looking across what is known in 2009 as the 'Legion Field', formerly known as Three Acres.
In the background is Barfield Road from what is now Lower 
Kingland Road to Melrose Road. The school is on the left - the belfry on the 'Old' school is still in place. The small bungalow with the sunshine on 
the roof to the right of the picture, was the home of the Whiting family 
for many years. The two pairs of cottages in the right half of the picture have been replaced by modern housing while the two in the centre of the picture remain the same shape but have been modernized.
One of the photographs used in Queen's Estates Souvenir brochure, advertising the sale on 24 August 1907 of a number of building plots in West Mersea. The brochure is in Mersea Museum archives. Before 24 August 1907.
Salcott Church, before the chancel was rebuilt. 
The old chancel had been in ruins for some time. There was a major restoration 1892-93 where a new chancel was added on the old foundations. 
The last service in before restoration was 10 July 1892. The first service in the new chancel was 13 June 1893 [T.B. Millatt]. Before June 1892. Photo: T.B. Millatt
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

-

Brian Jay

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020