-  Image Collection

Ship Ahoy, Tollesbury. Gowers Postcard No.243 posted before 1910.
The 17th Century inn was formerly named 'The Crooked Billet', then variously as 'The Hoy' and the 'Ship Ahoy'. It was closed after the First World War. Once part of the Guisnes Court estate, it was a rendezvous for smugglers with their illicit cargoes. 
The building, along with Old Hall marshes, is now owned by RSPB, bought as a result of the Eric Morecambe Memorial Appeal in 1985.
Old Hall, Tollesbury. 
Ann Jones wrote (May 2014):
This was the home where my Great Grandfather Richard Banyard grew up. He was born in 1865. His parents were Richard Banyard and mother Sarah maiden name Walford, who also lived in Tollesbury. Young Richard was 8 when his mother died, and 14 when his father died in 1879 so we have not yet checked the census as to whether his father had already left the pub when he died. We do know that young Richard went to live with his uncle John Banyard who we think was a grocer in Tollesbury.
Photograph used in Tollesbury Past by Keith Lovell, plate 62. Before 1910. Photo: Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
Fire Brigade before they had uniforms, on Horry Martin's lorry in front of West Mersea Church. 
L-R 1. Horry Martin, 2. Arthur Mills, 3. Edgar Jopson, 4. Ivan Mole, 5. Herbert Burgess, 6. Horry Whiting, 7. Mr Cathercole, 8. Alec C. Green, 9. Bob Key (Island barber Johnny Hart's old shop), 10. Leonard Mills, 11. Oscar Whiting.
</p><p>
Front left Horace Martin, builder, owner of the 'Dennis' lorry VW5608. His yard was where Fred's DIY now (2018) is. The yard and lorry were later owned by Clifford White. It was used for pill box work, and was driven by a Mr Waller. A. Tredget the builder bought it after WW2. (This lorry was fierce on the clutch - ask Ted Atkins). [Ron Green]
</p><p>
Herbert Burgess spent many years working for William Wyatt, the boat builders. He was also an officer in the Sea Cadets and taught us boys to play various instruments [Owen Fletcher].
</p><p>
Photograph taken the same time as MMC_669_011 which dates it to 1928. 1928.
Bill's Red Letter Day. Saturday will be a red letter day for postman Bill Pontyfix retiring after 37 years service. Mr Pontyfix, 63, of Churchfields, West Mersea, has given first class service to the village over the years.
Photo from Evening Gazette, 5 June 1990. 
Scan of newspaper cutting saved MMIMA026/Pontyfix_Bill/PFX_AB1_013.jpg 5 June 1990. Photo: Bill Pontyfix Collection
A Primrose bus with a Berry's bus behind and the first taxi on the Island, taken outside the White Hart, West Mersea.
The taxi is 'Hoppy' Hewes's Model T LX7754.
The Primrose bus is a Karrier, LT8426.
The urn and bones from the Roman burial barrow on East Mersea Road, soon after their return to Mersea in August 2014. They are on loan from Colchester and Ipswich Museums. When the bones were analysed, they were sorted and some of these are now on the shelf outside the urn. The bones on the left of the shelf are leg bones, in the centre are floating bits that contained the interesting new find - frankincense, and on the right are vertebrae.
The barrow is thought to date from 100 - 120 AD. 10 August 2014.
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019