-  Image Collection

Tom Marriage 26 June 1896 to 5 May 1896.
Wounded Arras April 3rd 1917. Left leg amputated 19th April. Died May 5th 1917.
Laid to rest May 6th in the Military Cemetery, Etaples, France.
There is more detail in Not Just a Name, page 101. In it, a letter refers to Tom being wounded 3rd April, but Roger Bullen says that there was confusion over the date Tom was wounded. On the 3rd the Battalion was in camp. 9th April the Battle of Arras commenced. c1916. Photo: Gene and Tony Clifton
William and George Hoy. William on the left was on his last leave and was killed in action 17 February 1917. The back of the postcard is addressed to Ivy Hoy, Haycock's Farm, East Mersea Essex - see <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=JRN_002>JRN_002 </a> 
Another copy names Chummy and Bill - Chummy was George's nickname.
</p><p>Harris William Hoy baptised 14 Sep 1894, killed in action 17 February 1917. See Not Just a Name by Roger Bullen, page 61.
George Henry Hoy baptised 6 Aug 1882.
  24 September 1916. Photo: Heather Haward Collection
Doc pulling, Beckingham Hall Farm, Birch,in the 1940s.
Back L-R 1. Ivy Adkins, 2. Hilda Whybrow, 3. Mildred Pulford, 4. Leni Button.
Front 1. Mabel Wheeler, 2. Phylis Bishop, 3. Greta Fletcher.
Photo 80 M.W. 1940s.
Fowler VF crawler tractor and an Allis Chalmers All-crop 60, an early combine harvester. It belonged to Victor Gray, New Hall Farm, Little Wigborough.
</p><p>
Bernard sent the photograph to Old Tractor Magazine, Sept 2005, with the caption:
Following a very wet harvest in 1958, an attempt was made to gather in the crop at New Hall Farm, Little Wigborough, in Cotober using an Allis-Chalmers All-Crop 60 combine pulled by a Fower VF crawler. Bernard tells us that it was so soft that a sledge had to be made to set the combine on. Note the spade, which was used to dig out the mud so that the starting handle could be inserted, and the fuse-holder laying on the left-hand track.
</p> October 1958. Photo: Bernard Ratcliffe
The Victory Hotel in the 1920s when run by G.R. 'Ronnie' Hone. The open-top car is XH3810. XH registrations were issued in London March 1921 to January 1922.
</p><p>The note on the back says Owned by Gran before Sailing Club. 1920s. Photo: Wendy Woolley
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Gowens

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020