-  Image Collection

Langenhoe Church. Postcard published by M. Harrison, Post Office, Abberton.
From Rev. H.K. and Mrs Hudson, Wadham, West Mersea, to Mrs Repton Dixon. 
See CW2_PCD_002 for back of card.
Langenhoe Church was built from old materials two years after the 1884 earthquake. Following structural problems, it was demolished 1962. Photo: Carol Wyatt Collection
The Old City with the Victory centre left and Cornerways on the right at the bottom of the Lane. Cornerways was later reduced in height. Carriage at the bottom of the lane. The boat on the left is BEATRICE.
The signwriting on the front of the Victory is Colchester Brewing Company, Fine ales and stout, wines and spirits. W. Trim proprietor.
Owen Fletcher names the men in foregraound as B. French and Mr Mole. He says: The parked carriage brought a party from Colchester for an Oyster Tea at the Victory.
Lorna Mills' grandfather James french was born in Cornerways.
<a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=CBR_001>CBR_001 </a> was taken at the same time.
A Cleghorn photograph. Another copy of this postcard was mailed 25 July 1906. Before July 1906. Photo: Hardy Weaver Collection
Hardy's Green, Birch. Stable Fields Cottage on right, now having a cedar shingle roof in place of thatch. On left are the cottages where Mr Patten, Les Polley and Sam Smith lived in the 1930s.
Photo 90B P.A. July 1994.
Land Girls threshing at East Hall, East Mersea.
Doris on the left.
The lady on top of the cart is one of the Dooleys [comment by Mr Rampling].
</p><p>The threshing machine is behind the cart, and the elevator on the right taking the straw up to a stack. c1943. Photo: David Green Collection
HK 5085 - a Primrose Buses Mersea charabanc in Stanwell Street by the Roman wall. The driver is Bob Woodward. Probably before 1926 as the St John's Street bus park was opened that year. Before then, the buses stood outside the Hippodrome in High Street, but were limited to 15 minutes there. Otherwise they would use Stanwell Street for parking.
From one of the slide shows run in the Museum during open hours. 1926. Photo: Janet Woodward Collection
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

-

Brian Jay

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020