Baptist Chapel, Meeting Lane, East Mersea.
The old Meeting House stood in Meeting Lane. Mr. Appleby, with the bowler hat, preached here every Sunday. Bill Curtis, known as "Cutty", who ran a donkey carrier's cart daily from East to West Mersea, is on the left. He couldn't straighten his left leg as a result of a childhood illness, so rested on a special leather knee pad. Hannah Robinson stands in the doorway whilst Mr. Smith is on the right. George F. Smith was F.G.Smith's Dad. Ernie 'Bunger' Perry and Lew Simpson lived behind.
From Alan Smith:
"George Frederick Smith became the Pastor in 1885 following the death of John Reuben Cock. John Reuben Cock became Pastor after the death of Mr Rogers according to the East Mersea Chapel Books but they do not say when this happened. The 1871 Census records John Reuben as the Minister. John Reuben's father Charles Cock was the Minister at the top Chapel in Mill Road.
"Mr George Appleby took over the Ministry from George Frederick Smith in early 1902 when the latter became too ill to continue, although they had been sharing the work since 1899.
From Owen Fletcher:
George Appleby was a regular conductor of services at the Meeting House. He travelled on a bike. His wife and children walked. The Appleby family lived next to Rust's Butcher Shop in High Street, West Mersea.
There was a morning service at the Meeting House, and the congregation brought food with them and stayed for the afternoon service.
Photo used in Mersea Memories 2nd Edition photo no. 99
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.