Search for Image ID ""Image 1|
Pyefleet House at the Peldon end of the Strood, showing damage from the 1884 earthquake. The house should have 3 chimneys - only one remains and this has considerable damage.
The name Pyefleet House was given to the house by the Tates in the 1970s. Before that it had been 'Strood Close' and then 'The Vicarage, Peldon.'
In "The Great English Earthquake" by Peter Haining, it is named as Strood Villa. He quotes "Built in 1860 of substantial stone and brickwork";
Date: cMay 1884
Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID IA004741
Category 1 Mersea-->Events
Category 2 Mersea-->Strood
Category 3 Disasters and Mishaps
Category 4 Places-->Peldon
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.