Gas turbine powered Shell tanker AURIS at sea - date unknown.
Notes from the back of the photograph:
AURIS Shell Tankers 8,221/1948 12 kts appearance in 1960.
Built in 1948 by Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn with 4 Hawthorn - Sulzer 8 cylinder diesel engines 1,100 BHP each, supplying AC current to a single motor of 3,750 SHP. In 1951 one of these diesels was replaced by a Gas Turbine of 1,200 BHP. It was announced in1955 that this arrangement was to be replaced by a single 5,300 BHP gas turbine operating through direct gearing. In this refit the ship's appearance was altered. Heavy capital cost made the company decide not to install this in any more tankers.
The AURIS was laid up in the River Blackwater from 11 June 1960 to August 1962 when she was sold for scrapping in Blyth.
Original photograph from A. Duncan, Gravesend.