Image 73 of 394
Search for Image ID ""Images for Places-->Wigborough 73 of 394|
Kelly's Directory, Great Wigborough
Great Wigborough is a parish 7 miles south-west from Colchester, 8 south from Marks Tey station on the Great Eastern railway, and 11 north-east of Maldon, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester County Court district, rural deanery of Mersea, archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of St. Albans. The parish anciently belonged to the Abbess of Barking, and is so recorded in the Domesday Survey: it afterwards passed to the priory of St Osyth. The church of St. Stephen, situated on the top of a hill, is a building of flint and rubble in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel and nave, south porch, vestry and an embattle western tower of stone with pinnacles and contains 2 bells: since 1890 more than £3,000 has been spent on the church, which has 130 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1602; burials, 1570; and marriages, 1560. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Wigborough annexed, joint net yearly value £300, with 100 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Col, Gordon Watson, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Frederick Theobald M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. There are two manors, viz. Abbots Hall and Barn Hall; the manorial rights of the former are held by the trustees of the late Dr. Cline and the latter by Sir William Neville Abdy bart. who with Mr. Charles Hutley and Mr. T. J. D. Cramphorn, is a principal landowner. The soil is heavy; subsoil, strong loam. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,153 acres of land, 3 of water, 5 of tidal water and 80 of foreshore; rateable value, £1,092; the population in 1891 was 270 in the civil, and 329 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By Local Government Board Order 22,363, dated March 23, 1889, a detached part of this parish known as Quashey Corner, was transferred to Messing, and a part known as Newbridge Road to Layer Marney and by Order 22,364 of the same date, Paternoster Heath was added to Tolleshunt Knights.
Parish Clerk, James Cadman.
Letters from Colchester via Peldon arrive about 7:30 a.m. The nearest money order office is Peldon & Telegraph office is at Tolleshunt D'Arcy, 3½ miles distant.
Pillar Box, King's Head P.H. cleared at 6p.m. week days only. Wall Letter Box, at School, cleared at 6:30p.m.; Sunday at 8 a.m.
National School (mixed), built in 1854 & enlarged in 1889, for 116 children; average attendance, 40; Mrs Margaret Whitehead, mistress
Carrier. - William Christmas, to Colchester, Mon, Wed, Fri. & Sat.
Photo: Mersea Museum - Mary Downes
Image ID KEL_1899_GWG
Category 1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's
Category 2 Places-->Wigborough
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.