Search for Image ID "" |
Little Wigborough 1899 Kelly's Directory of Essex
Little Wigborough is a parish about 1 mile south-east from Great Wigborough, near the marshes and creeks or the estuary of the Blackwater, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester county court district, rural deanery of Mersea, archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of St Albans. The church of St. Nicholas, situated near the sea shore, is a building of stone in the Early English style, restored in 1886-1887 at a cost of £1,000, and consists of a chancel and nave an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 1 bell: there are 65 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1586: burials, 1588; marriages, 1592. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Great Wigborough, joint net yearly value of £300, with 20 acres of glebe here, in the gift of Col. Gordon Watson, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Frederick Theobald M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford, who resides at Great Wigborough. The manor and land chiefly belong to the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The soil is heavy; subsoil, loamy. The chief crops are wheat, beans and a considerable quantity of pasture. The area is 1,096 acres of land, 8 of water, 44 of tidal water and 115 of foreshore; rateable value, £392; the population in 1891 was 84.
Letters through Colchester arrive 8 a.m.
Peldon is the nearest money order office & Tolleshunt D'Arcy nearest telegraph office, about 4 miles distant.
Pillar Letter Box cleared at 6 p.m.
The children attend school at Great Wigborough
Photo: Mersea Museum - Mary Downes
Image ID KEL_1899_LWG
Category 1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's
Category 2 Places-->Wigborough
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.