Search for Image ID ""

 Little Wigborough - Kelly's 1914 Directory Page 703 


Little Wigborough is a parish about 1 mile south-east from Great Wigborough, near the marshes and creeks of the estuary of the Blackwater, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester, Clacton and Harwich joint county court district, and in the rural ...
Cat1 Places-->Wigborough Cat2 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's

Little Wigborough - Kelly's 1914 Directory Page 703

Little Wigborough is a parish about 1 mile south-east from Great Wigborough, near the marshes and creeks of the estuary of the Blackwater, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester, Clacton and Harwich joint county court district, and in the rural deanery and archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. The church of St Nicolas, situated near the sea shore, is a building of stone in the Early English style, restored in 1886-1887 at a cost of £1,000, and consists of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: there are 65 sittings, but services are no longer held in this church. The register of baptisms dates from 1586; burials, 1588;, marriages, 1592. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Great Wigborough, joint net yearly value £319, with 20 acres of glebe here, in the gift of t he trustees of the late Col. F.D. Gordon Watson, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Frederick Theobald M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford, who resides at Great Wigborough. The manor and land chiefly belong to the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The soil is heavy; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans and a considerable quantity of pasture. The area is 1,094 acres of land, 11 of inland and 43 of tidal water and 114 of foreshore; rateable value, £370; the population in 1911 was 45.

Letters through Colchester arrive about 8am. Peldon is the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 1 mile distant.
Pillar Letter Box, near Seaborough's farm, cleared at 8.45am & 7pm; sundays 8.15am.

Hines James, farmer
Hutley Robert, farmer, New hall
Wright John, farmer

With thanks to University of Leicester - specialcollections.le.ac.uk
Date: 1914      


Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID KEL_1914_LWG
Category 1 Places-->Wigborough
Category 2 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.