Image 23 of 151
Images for Books-->Mersea Guides 23 of 151|
Peldon 1914 Kelly's Directory of Essex
Peldon (or Peltington) is a parish on the road from Colchester to Mersea Island, 5 miles south-west from Wivenhoe station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the Great Eastern Railway, 7½ south from Colchester, and 56 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree union and petty sessional division, Colchester, Clacton and Harwich joint county court district, rural deanery of Mersea, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, erected in the 15th century, stands on a hill and occupies the site of an ancient church recorded in Domesday Book: it is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: the church was thorough restored in 1859 by subscriptions at a cost of about £908, in the course of which several remains of an Early Norman church were discovered: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptism dates from 1725; burials, 1728; marriages, 1776. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £315, with 24 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. David Lindsay Johnson and held since 1911 by the Rev. Edgar George Bowring M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. Mr John Whitton Wilkinson is lord of the manor of Peldon Hall, and the rector order of the rectorial manor, and the trustees of the late Mrs Gibson, Messrs. Robert Store, William G. Fairhead and Mr John Whitton Wilkinson are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy loam; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2, 243 acres of land, 9 of inland and 2 of tidal water and 31 of foreshore; rateable value, £1,670; the population in 1911 was 409.
Parish Clerk, James Talbot.
Post, M. O. & T Office - George Smallwood, Sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive through Colchester at 4:45 a.m. & 1 p.m.; dispatched at 11:30 a.m. & 7:40 p.m.
Public Elementary (Non provided) School (mixed), built in 1833 & enlarged in 1881, for 196 children; average, 65; Mrs. Emma Green, mistress.
Carriers to Colchester - William Frederick Christmas & Edgar Nicholas, to the 'Plough', Mon, Wed. Fri & Sat.
Photo: Mersea Museum - Mary Downes
Image ID KEL_1914_PEL
Category 1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's
Category 2 Places-->Peldon-->Shops and Businesses
Category 3 Places-->Peldon-->People
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.