Chapel of St. Peter-ad-Murum, Bradwell-Juxta-Mare.
The Chapel of St. Peter's-on-the-Wall, which is one of the oldest consecrated buildings in England, stands at the mouth of the Blackwater on the site of the old Roman Camp of Othona.
Built in the middle of the seventh century by St. Cedd, the Bishop of the East Saxons, it may also be called the first Cathedral of Essex.
During the reigns of Elizabeth and her successors until after the Restoration, it was used as a lighthouse, and in the latter part of the sixteenth century the building was re-roofed and used as a barn.
It was not until 1920 that the Chapel was transferred to trustees as a gift to the Diocese of Chelmsford, and was then restored to its proper use once more. [Caption from back of the postcard]
Date: After 1920