Search for Image ID "PH01_163"

 St Mary's Parish Church, Peldon, with the chancel blocked off.

It was 'condemned' by a surveyor as being unsafe in 1939, just as WW2 had begun. His advice was to demolish and rebuild but with the war and then lack of money a new chancel shorter chancel was not built until the early 1950s. It wasn't ready for use until April 1953 when there was a dedication by the Bishop of Colchester on 19th ...
Cat1 Places-->Peldon-->Buildings

St Mary's Parish Church, Peldon, with the chancel blocked off.
It was 'condemned' by a surveyor as being unsafe in 1939, just as WW2 had begun. His advice was to demolish and rebuild but with the war and then lack of money a new chancel shorter chancel was not built until the early 1950s. It wasn't ready for use until April 1953 when there was a dedication by the Bishop of Colchester on 19th April.


Date: c1950      

Photo: Peldon History Project
Image ID PH01_163


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.