Rev. J.R. Wilson B.A. Peldon 1939 - 1947
J.R. Wilson - from Rectors of Peldon by Anthony W. Gough
John Robert Wilson B.A., L.Th. (Durham), was instituted on 14 February 1939, having returned from missionary work with the Church Missionary Society in China in 1938. Of his wartime incumbency he recalls 'the Home Guard keeping watch from the Church Tower, and on the Parade Sundays filling the church, for intensely moving services never knowing who would be missing on the next parade'. He also remembers the excitement when a Spitfire crash-landed at Sampson's Farm and the pilot being brought up to the Rectory. Resigned in October 1947, and retired to the Church of England Clergy Home at Hindhead, Surrey.