Search for Image ID ""Image 1|
Barnard's Cottages on Mersea Road, Peldon, extended from the bottom of St Ives Hill eastwards. They were named after Jabez Barnard of Oxford Street, London, a quaker, who ran an artists' supplies business and also made the slides for magic lantern projectors. He bought the land in 1850 and the houses had definitely been built by 1864 (if not before) when he applied to the parish for a rate reduction. All the cottages except the easternmost were demolished and all that remain are Bramley and Marigold Cottages (the latter comprising No 9 and No 10, apparently with a sun room in this picture).
Osborne Series postcard - Mr Osborne's bicycle is leaning against the telegraph post.
Photo: Peldon History Project
Image ID PH01_DVN_023
Category 2 Places-->Peldon-->Road Scenes
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.