Search for Image ID "RUD_MIS_107"

 Water a penny a pail.

A curious incident can be seen in old world Essex village of Abberton, by motorists touring in this district on any week-day, where Mr Wright the waterman retails water at 1d a pail. Members of the Wright family have sold water in the village for over a hundred years.

Keeping a car clean would no doubt be an expensive proposition

[The above are from a ...
Cat1 Places-->Abberton Cat2 Families-->Rudlin Cat3 [Display on front screen]

Water a penny a pail.
A curious incident can be seen in old world Essex village of Abberton, by motorists touring in this district on any week-day, where Mr Wright the waterman retails water at 1d a pail. Members of the Wright family have sold water in the village for over a hundred years.
"Keeping a car clean would no doubt be an expensive proposition"
[The above are from a typewritten note on the back of the photograph].

From a handwritten note with the photo:
Mrs Elmer (hat), Mrs Hiskey, Mrs Sawkins (Douglas's mother ?), Mr Fred Smith [but this is doubtful - the man has been identified as Norman Wright by his daughter], Girl from Mersea (Milgate ?).
Water from Radcliffe Sloosh spring, Spring Lane, Fingringhoe, [ By the pond - ] Near Whalebone.
Fred earned 12/6 a week.

G.W. Rudlin carrier in the background - Arthur Death on the running board and George Rudlin inside.

Original photograph by L.G. Cosser, Sir Isaac's Walk, Colchester.

The picture appears in Abberton and Langenhoe. A History in Photographs by Peter Wormell [ Figure 31 ], where the caption is.

Fred Smith delivering the water (8 October 1927). Picture taken outside Pump Row (Moss Cottages). Fred later had a more modern water cart supplied by Lexden & Winstree Rural District Council. Piped water came in 1930. It coast £12,600 for seven villages. Essex County Standard.


Date: 8 October 1927      

Photo: Mersea Museum - Peter Rudlin Collection
Image ID RUD_MIS_107
Category 2 Families-->Rudlin
Category 3 [Display on front screen]


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.