The Church of St Nicholas, Little Wigborough. Framed history on the wall of the nave.
The church stands on the west side of the parish. The walls are of stone-rubble, roughly coursed with dressings of limestone; the roofs are tiled. The whole building was built or rebuilt in the 15th century , and restored in the 19th century when the walls of the nave were heightened and the upper part of the tower rebuilt.
The Chancel is of late 15th century date, and has an East window, partly restored, of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and defaced angel stops. In the North wall is a much restored window of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head. In the South wall is a similar window; further East is a doorway with double hollow-chamfered jambs and four .pcentred arch with a modern square head and label. There is no chancel arch.
The Nave is of late 15th century date and has in the North wall a window similar to that in the North wall of the chancel, but all modern externally; further West is the partly restored North doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label with stops carved with angels. In the South wall is a window similar to that in the North wall; further West is the south doorway with moulded jabs, two-centred arch and label, all much restored. Flanking it are the broken ends of the side walls of a former South porch, now destroyed. The doorway is now filled in.
The West Tower is of three stages, the lowest of late 15th century date, and the two upper rebuilt in 1888 following the 1884 Earthquake. the tower-arch is two-centred and of two hollow chamfered orders, the outer continuous, and the inner dying on to the side walls. the West window is modern, except for the splays and rear arch.
Altar, credence, piscine, chancel screen, and front cover, all of c. 1895
From Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Report etc.
Date: 21 August 2016
Photo: Mersea Museum - Tony Millatt
Image ID TM7_P1050545
Category 1 Places-->Wigborough
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.