1884 Earthquake report pages 38 and 39.
The Residence of Mr Hugh Green continued. The house is on the Peldon side of the Strood. In The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining, it is named as Strood Villa. In 2012, it is known as Pyefleet House.
The report quotes "Mr Green's house is literally split from end to end - there is not a sound wall either inside or outside standing. All the windows in the house are smashed, the cap stone to the porch at the entrance is down, as also are the chimneys...
See IA004741 for a picture of the house after the earthquake.
The report goes on to mention Mr John Thorpe, schoolmaster at the National School in West Mersea, and the way he prevented the children from rushing out and being hit by falling masonery.
Other names mentioned are Rev. T.R. Musselwhite, Mr W.H. Traveller at the White Hart, Mr John Bacon at the Hall, Mr D.R. Cock at Brick House, Mrs
Farthing at the Cross.
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.