Image 9 of 154
Search for Image ID ""Images for Mersea-->East 9 of 154|
East Mersea Parish Church - East Window in memory of Ernest Arthur Lazarus Barlow. c1920.
After the end of the Great War 1914 - 1918 the family of Ernest Arthur Lazarus Barlow gave the parish church of St Edmund King and Martyr East Mersea an East Window celebrating the feast of the Epiphany. At the top, scarcely visible from the ground, is a small 'hand of God'. Below this are the four seraphims six angel musicians and then a large depiction of the Holy family, shepherds and 'wise men' or kings.
The inscription at the bottom reads "To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of Ernest Arthur Lazarus Barlow this window is erected by his wife and children. Born Dec 7th 1855 died Jan 9th 1914. The souls of the righteous are in the Hand of God.
The artist was Thomas Curtis 1854 - 1924. The installers were Ward and Hughes and the stained glass was made by Howard Burkin OBE.
Lazarus Barlow lived at Smiths Hall, West Mersea
Photo: Mersea Museum - Chris Parkinson
Image ID CPK_EMP_001
Category 1 Mersea-->Buildings
Category 2 Mersea-->East
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.