Birch C. of E. School 1985. Opening of new building. Pages 2 and 3.
List of Officers 1985. Chairman of Governors Rev. H.W. Giddings. Headteacher Mrs E. Pickford.
A Short History of Birch School.
1847 Opened for children of Birch
1877 Layer Breton children came, as school there was closed.
1926 Layer Marney children came, as school there was closed.
1931 Senior children (11+) from Copford, Layer de la Haye, Wigborough and Salcott came to Birch 'Senior Top'.
1933 Wigborough Juniors came to Birch as school there was closed.
1937 Salcott Juniors came to Birch as school there was closed.
1939 The School was handed over to the Chelmsford Diocesan Board.
1948 School Leaving age raised to 15.
1957-8 Seniors Transferred to the New Secondary Schools at Stanway and Tiptree. Birch School Reorganised as Primary School.
Date: 22 March 1985