Mole Family Tree - descendants of John Mole and Susan Francis
Mole Family Tree
Descendants of John Mole and Susan Francis
1. John Mole m 1825 Susan Francis
. . a. George Mole b1829 d1918 m Hannah Frostick b1830 d1915
. . . . 1. Henry E Woolard b1863 m Caroline Mole b1851
. . . . . . a. Margaret Woollard 1890-
. . . . . . ...
1. John Ponder b c1786
. . m 21 Jun 1803 Phaeby [ Phebe or Phoebe ?] Lister Little Wigborough b c1791
. . a. Richard Ponder b c1815
. . . . m 25 Jun 1840 Sarah Ann Instance b c1817
. . . . 1. John Ponder b c1841
. . . . 2. Mary Ann b ...
In 1795 Jane Moore married Joseph Smith at Polstead in Suffolk. In 1849 their grandson Frederick Smith married Martha Sargeant at Nayland. 1859 Frederick and Martha moved to West Mersea, thus starting a long association with the Island, centred on the mill and bakery in Mill Road.
Wilson Family Tree - descendants of Horace Hayman Wilson
1. Horace Hayman Wilson 1786-1860
m Indian Princess daughter of King of Kandy (Ceylon)
. . a. Frederick Horace Wilson 1812-1902
. . . . m 17 Dec 1839 at EM Hannah Tiffin b c1812
. . . . 1. Charles Clark Wilson b1843 d 17 Sept 1914 buried EM churchyard
. . . . . . m Apr ...
West Mersea firemen are quiz champions. Photographs G. Allen, A. Garnham, J. Mussett, W. Beament and L. Harvey. Second picture has L.A. Mills and O.J. Whiting.
from Essex County Standard 21 February 1958
West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with new Dodge 758JNO. Outside the Melrose Road Fire Station.
L-R 1. Oscar Whiting, 2. Gordon Allen, 3. Ron Clamp, 4. Len Cole, 5. Jim Mussett, 6. W. Beament, 7. Joe Mussett, 8. Alec Garnham
New W. Mersea Fire Appliance. Long-felt fears now at rest.
On Monday, Sub-Officer Oscar Whiting, who in business is a grocer and provision merchant, took delivery of a brand new Dodge water tender to replace the obsolete machine...
Queens Corner with the Blacksmith's shop on the corner of Upland Road and Kingsland Road on the far right. Taken before the Fountain Hotel was built. The cottages later became known as Fountain Cottages.
Photo from Douglas Cooke.
Sergeant F.G. Unwin, No. 72274 134 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps. Bunny served in France 1916 - 1918 and was awarded the Military Medal for Gallantry.
The 1918 Absent Voters list for West Mersea has him living at Upland House.
During WW2, Bunny served in the Home Guard.
West Mersea Mill - Fred G. Smith. A wonderful photograph of the old and the new. Stanley Mole on the left holding the horse and Herbert Marrow far right with his hand resting on the van door. The "Roundhouse" remains after the windmill was removed. [AS]
Earthquake 1884. Went's Mill, Peldon.
From left, Peldon Steam Mill, Windmill and Peldon Mill House damaged by the "Colchester Earthquake" of 22 April 1884 which was centred on Langenhoe. The mills were not damaged by the earthquake. [AS]
Vicky and Kathy Negus.
Victoria E Negus was born in 1932 and Kathleen M Negus in 1934 in the West Ham area, daughters of John A Negus and Nellie M V Vernall who had married in 1930. There were at least four more children.
They arrived together as evacuees early in the war and were taken ...
Copyright(c) Mersea Island Museum Trust 2021 This screen shows extracts from the Museum Collections. The contents should not be published without the permission of Mersea Museum. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.