This database contains an index of some of the books and papers held by Mersea Museum. In some cases the database contains a complete transcription of a book or document.

Found 256 files  - displaying 251 to 256

251

Article

NANALOA - HSL 145
ID TXA00300
Title NANALOA - HSL 145
Abstract By 2009, NANALOA, the former High Speed Launch 145, was resting at West Mersea, her hull stripped of all fittings, and barely floating at high tide. The following article was written by Pat Zierold in the 1990s and covers some of her history.

NANALOA was built in the last months of 1939, one...

Author Pat Zierold
Published c1994
Source Mersea Museum / Pam West and John Zierold

252

Article

Sarah Wrench, died 6 May 1848, buried East Mersea.
ID TXA00220
Title Sarah Wrench, died 6 May 1848, buried East Mersea.
Abstract Just to the north east of East Mersea Church is the grave of Sarah Wrench. It is unusual in that it has iron hoops over it, forming a cage. A cast iron plaque on the grave says "Sarah Wrench died 6th May 1848 aged 15 years and 5 months"

The East Mersea Parish Records tell us that Sarah...

Author Tony Millatt
Keywords churchyard, WCH
Published 31 May 2009
Source Mersea Museum

253

Article

Tim Whelpton - lived on a houseboat before the War
ID TXA00200
Title Tim Whelpton - lived on a houseboat before the War
Abstract Tim Whelpton died March 2009 at the age of 80. He came from a sailing family, in which his doctor grandfather had a fleet of fishing smacks based in Essex. Tim's father, a master mariner, went to sea in square-rigged sailing ships and had circumnavigated the world seven times before he was...
Author Tony Millatt
Published 22 May 2009
Source Mersea Museum

254

Article

Mersea Island: the 11th-century Boundaries; *** King Edward Charter
ID EAH_014_087
Title Mersea Island: the 11th-century Boundaries; *** King Edward Charter
Abstract Deramy's Stone stands on the boundary between East and West Mersea. The plaque below the stone (erected in January 1975) says the stone marks the Boundary of the Manor of West Mersea granted by King Edward the Confessor to the Monastery of St. Ouen in 1046. However, there is much doubt about...
Author Tony Millatt
Keywords Deremy's, Deramy's, Deramy, Deremy
Volume 14
Published 1982
Source Mersea Museum / Essex Archaeology and History
Page 87

255

Article

Essex Archaeology and History
ID EAH_014_077
Title Essex Archaeology and History
Abstract The only road onto Mersea Island crosses the end of the Strood and Pyefleet channels on a causeway known as the Strood. The road has been raised over the years, but below the present road can be found oak piles which indicate the presence of a causeway here in Anglo-Saxon times. The name 'Strood' is...
Author Tony Millatt
Keywords dendro
Volume 14
Published 1982
Source Mersea Museum / Essex Archaeology and History
Page 77

256

Article

Yacht ERIDANI 2 built Wyatt Mersea 1957-1959
ID TXA00070
Title Yacht ERIDANI 2 built Wyatt Mersea 1957-1959
Abstract In March 2009, the Museum had an enquiry from two brothers who were about to embark on the restoration of a Yacht called ERIDANI 2. They knew she was built in West Mersea by William Wyatt between 1957 and 1959. She was designed by a man called John Sloggett and has a Lloyds registration number....
Published 7 March 2009
Source Mersea Museum
FirstPrevious123456