|D/ABW 54/15 The Will of John Cooke of West Mersea 1637
Transcribed by Jools Hoyle 25 June 2019.
See further down this page for a translation into modern English.
1. In the name of god Amen I John Cooke the younger of
2. westmeresey make & ordaine this my last will & testament
3. First I bequeath my soule into the handes of my Creator & my body
4. to be buried in Westmeresey.
5. It[em] my will is th[a]t my house and land called by the name of Norforke Chapmans
6. be sold at the best advantage & all my debts to be payd out/ of the same and
8. & manner followinge. my wife to have it at her disposure towards the
9. bringinge up of my three children.
10. Also my will is my part of the boate w[i]th Robert Harvey to be sold and the
11. produce of it & of all other my moveables goods cattles & chattles to be
12. towards the bringinge up my three children
13. It[em] I my will is th[a]t my lovinge wife Ann & my brother John Durell
14. my Executours of this my last will
15. Witnesse my hand seale/ this 8th of May Anno Do[mi]ni 1637
16. In the p[re]sence of us.
17. John Woolhouse
18. Michaell Harvey.
19. his marke[?]
20. John Cooke jun
21. p[ro]bat[ur] [---d] [Note 1] Colch [ester] 30 Augusti 1637 Coram doctore Aylett [Proved at Colchester 30 August 1637 in the presence of Dr Aylett]
22. Comissario &c Juramento Annae Cooke [Comissioner &c on the oath of Ann Cooke]
23. unius executoru[m] &c cuius salvo &c [one of the executors &c reserving the right ]
i.e. of the other executor)
24. fiat [let it be done]
25. fit [it is done]
Note 1 probably '[apu]d' (at)
Translation into modern English by Jools Hoyle 3 July 2019
1. In the name of God, Amen, I, John Cooke the younger of
2. West Mersea make and ordain this, my last will and testament.
3. First, I bequeath my soul into the hands of my creator and my body
4. to be buried in West Mersea.
5. Item: My will is that my house and land called Norforke Chapmans
6. be sold at the best possible price and that all my debts be repaid from the proceeds of sale and
7. the balance to be divided between my wife and children in
8. the following way: my wife to have it at her disposal towards the
9. upbringing of my three children.
10. Also, my will is that my part of the boat jointly owned with Robert Harvey is to be sold and the
11. proceeds of sale of it and of the sale of all my other moveable goods and chattels and cattle be
12. put towards the upbringing of my three children.
13. Item: My will is that my loving wife Ann and my brother John Durell
14. be the executors of my will.
15. Witness my signature and seal this 8th May in the year of our lord 1637
16. In the presence of us:
17. John Woolhouse
18. Michael Harvey
19. his mark
20. John Cooke junior
21. Proved at Colchester 30 August 1637 in the presence of Dr Aylett
22. Comissioner &c on the oath of Ann Cooke
23. one of the executors &c reserving the right (ie of the other executor)
24. let it be done
25. it is done