ID JB01_EREP

Title1884 Essex Earthquake report
AbstractThe source of these pages is not known but some paragraphs are identical to quotations from the Essex Telegraph used in The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining.

Mersea Museum has photocopies of just a few pages of this report.

SourceMersea Museum
IDJB01_EREP
Related Images:
 1884 Essex Earthquake. Pages 34 and 35 of a report - source not known but some paragraphs are identical to quotations from the Essex Telegraph used in The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining.
 These pages start the coverage of Abberton, Langenhoe, West Mersea and Peldon.  JB01_EREP_001
ImageID:   JB01_EREP_001
Title: 1884 Essex Earthquake. Pages 34 and 35 of a report - source not known but some paragraphs are identical to quotations from the Essex Telegraph used in The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining.
These pages start the coverage of Abberton, Langenhoe, West Mersea and Peldon.
Date:1884
Source:Brian Jay Collection
 1884 Essex Earthquake report, pages 36 and 37.
 Covers Langenhoe, the Rose Inn, Peldon windmill (residence and business place of Mrs S. Went) and the residence of Mr Hugh Green [on the Peldon side of the Strood and known in 2012 as Pyefleet House].  JB01_EREP_002
ImageID:   JB01_EREP_002
Title: 1884 Essex Earthquake report, pages 36 and 37.
Covers Langenhoe, the Rose Inn, Peldon windmill (residence and business place of Mrs S. Went) and the residence of Mr Hugh Green [on the Peldon side of the Strood and known in 2012 as Pyefleet House].
Date:1884
Source:Brian Jay Collection
 1884 Earthquake report pages 38 and 39. 
 The Residence of Mr Hugh Green continued. The house is on the Peldon side of the Strood. In The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining, it is named as Strood Villa. In 2012, it is known as Pyefleet House.
 The report quotes Mr Green's house is literally split from end to end - there is not a sound wall either inside or outside standing. All the windows in the house are smashed, the cap stone to the porch at the entrance is down, as also are the chimneys...
See <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=IA004741>IA004741 </a> for a picture of the house after the earthquake.
 The report goes on to mention Mr John Thorpe, schoolmaster at the National School in West Mersea, and the way he prevented the children from rushing out and being hit by falling masonery. 
 Other names mentioned are Rev. T.R. Musselwhite, Mr W.H. Traveller at the White Hart, Mr John Bacon at the Hall, Mr D.R. Cock at Brick House, Mrs 
Farthing at the Cross.  JB01_EREP_003
ImageID:   JB01_EREP_003
Title: 1884 Earthquake report pages 38 and 39.
The Residence of Mr Hugh Green continued. The house is on the Peldon side of the Strood. In The Great English Earthquake by Peter Haining, it is named as Strood Villa. In 2012, it is known as Pyefleet House.
The report quotes "Mr Green's house is literally split from end to end - there is not a sound wall either inside or outside standing. All the windows in the house are smashed, the cap stone to the porch at the entrance is down, as also are the chimneys... See IA004741 for a picture of the house after the earthquake.
The report goes on to mention Mr John Thorpe, schoolmaster at the National School in West Mersea, and the way he prevented the children from rushing out and being hit by falling masonery.
Other names mentioned are Rev. T.R. Musselwhite, Mr W.H. Traveller at the White Hart, Mr John Bacon at the Hall, Mr D.R. Cock at Brick House, Mrs Farthing at the Cross.
Date:1884
Source:Brian Jay Collection
 1884 Essex Earthquake Report, pages 40 and 41.
 West Mersea continued. Great Wigborough.  JB01_EREP_004
ImageID:   JB01_EREP_004
Title: 1884 Essex Earthquake Report, pages 40 and 41.
West Mersea continued. Great Wigborough.
Date:1884
Source:Brian Jay Collection
 1884 Essex Earthquake report. 
 Summary of parishes, population, buildings repaired, financial contributions.  JB01_EREP_005
ImageID:   JB01_EREP_005
Title: 1884 Essex Earthquake report.
Summary of parishes, population, buildings repaired, financial contributions.
Date:1884
Source:Brian Jay Collection