ID: SCH_LIZ

TitleSt Michael's School, Melrose Road
AbstractKnown as the Tin Lizzie. The building is still there and is [in 2011] the Mulberry Bush Montessori Nursery.
As a school, it was run by Miss Francis.
Paul Jasper went to the school in the 1930s [and describes his time on Audio AA010770]. At the same time, Don Procter and Peter Trigg were at the school. They could cut through a whole in the fence beside Port Bower to get to the school. Paul Jasper was Head Boy at the school when Patricia Catchpole was head girl. Each year they would have Hare and Hounds chasing bits of paper along the front, past the boating lake, and ending at Brierley Hall where Mr Catchpole lived, for a glass of lemonade. They could cut through a whole in the fence beside Port Bower to get to the school. After the 11+, Paul went to Boys High School. Patricia Catchpole became maid of all trades at the school and was a pupil teacher during the War.
A mischievous Dennis Chatters said that when he and his friends were returning from the main school, they used to enjoy throwing stones up on the tin roof to disturb the lessons in the Tin Lizzie [audio of this is in LN007301].

The obituary of Miss Stella Francis gives some background, saying she started the school in 1921. She was working for the Government during the War and she died c1946. See PH01_014

SourceMersea Museum
IDSCH_LIZ
Related Images:
 St Michael's School, Melrose Road, circa 1934-35. Known locally as the Tin Lizzie.
 Back row L-R Jean Thorpe, John Cotton, Janet Searle, Deidre Williamson, Joan Robbins, Phillipa Elmer, Don Procter, Patricia Catchpole.
 Middle Row ?, Tony Williamson, Maude Seales, Colin Page, Joan Brand, ?, Miss Francis, Joe Seales, Valerie Smart, Peggy Robbins, Eric Nias, Molly Barton, Adrian Balls, Ken Whiting, Judith King
 Front row Evadne Whelpton, John Neil, Lena Geall, ? Geall, Elizabeth Hudson, Barbara Tredgett, Anne Hudson, John Gardner, Nancy Elmer, John Chatters, Brenda Chambers, Peter Trigg
 Photo and information from Paul Jasper and Brian Jay via Owen Fletcher  PC07_041
ImageID:   PC07_041
Title: St Michael's School, Melrose Road, circa 1934-35. Known locally as the Tin Lizzie.
Back row L-R Jean Thorpe, John Cotton, Janet Searle, Deidre Williamson, Joan Robbins, Phillipa Elmer, Don Procter, Patricia Catchpole.
Middle Row ?, Tony Williamson, Maude Seales, Colin Page, Joan Brand, ?, Miss Francis, Joe Seales, Valerie Smart, Peggy Robbins, Eric Nias, Molly Barton, Adrian Balls, Ken Whiting, Judith King
Front row Evadne Whelpton, John Neil, Lena Geall, ? Geall, Elizabeth Hudson, Barbara Tredgett, Anne Hudson, John Gardner, Nancy Elmer, John Chatters, Brenda Chambers, Peter Trigg
Photo and information from Paul Jasper and Brian Jay via Owen Fletcher
Date:c1935
Source:Mersea Museum / Patricia Catchpole
 St. Michael's School, Melrose Road, c1936.
 L-R all rows 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7. Patricia Catchpole, 8. Jean Thorpe , 9. Lena Geall, 10. Miss Francis
</p><p>

The school was popularly known as the Tin Lizzie.  PC07_043
ImageID:   PC07_043
Title: St. Michael's School, Melrose Road, c1936.
L-R all rows 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7. Patricia Catchpole, 8. Jean Thorpe , 9. Lena Geall, 10. Miss Francis

The school was popularly known as the "Tin Lizzie".

Date:c1936
Source:Mersea Museum / Patricia Catchpole
 St Michael's School in the corrugated tin building behind the Council Offices in Melrose Road. It was known as the 'Tin Lizzie School' and was run by Miss Francis.
 In the photograph here, Miss Francis is back right, Jean Titford is 2nd right 2nd row. 
 More on St. Michaels:
 Paul Jasper went to the school [and describes his time on Audio AA010770]. At the same time, Don Procter and Peter Trigg were at the school. They could cut through a hole in the fence beside Port Bower to get to the school. Paul Jasper was Head Boy at the school when Patricia Catchpole was head girl. Each year they would have Hare and Hounds chasing bits of paper along the front, past the boating lake, and ending at Brierley Hall where Mr Catchpole lived, for a glass of lemonade. After the 11+, Paul went to Boys High School.
 Patricia Catchpole became maid of all trades at the school and was a pupil teacher during the War .  WOO_SCH_001
ImageID:   WOO_SCH_001
Title: St Michael's School in the corrugated tin building behind the Council Offices in Melrose Road. It was known as the 'Tin Lizzie School' and was run by Miss Francis.
In the photograph here, Miss Francis is back right, Jean Titford is 2nd right 2nd row.
More on St. Michaels:
Paul Jasper went to the school [and describes his time on Audio AA010770]. At the same time, Don Procter and Peter Trigg were at the school. They could cut through a hole in the fence beside Port Bower to get to the school. Paul Jasper was Head Boy at the school when Patricia Catchpole was head girl. Each year they would have Hare and Hounds chasing bits of paper along the front, past the boating lake, and ending at Brierley Hall where Mr Catchpole lived, for a glass of lemonade. After the 11+, Paul went to Boys High School.
Patricia Catchpole became maid of all trades at the school and was a pupil teacher during the War .
Source:Mersea Museum / Janet Woodward Collection