Mersea Pubs - Dog and Pheasant

Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea, previously the Grey Goose

The Dog and Pheasant used to be known as the Grey Goose - a 1769 document in Essex Record Office refers to it by that name, and the 1838 Tithe Map also calls it Grey Goose. However, by 1855 it was known as the Dog and Pheasant. In 1928 the building was much extended on the west side, and since then, the old part has been used as the pub restaurant, a holiday home, and a private residence.

Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea

C. & W.R. Seabrooke's fine pale and mild ales and porter. Landlord J.H. Death. Before 1918

Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea

c1920. Landlord J.C. Hoy

Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea

1930s

Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea

August 2007

1769 "tenement called Grey Goose, all copyhold of manor of East Mersea otherwise East Hall, 1769; [ ERO D/DEt T173 ]
1838 Tithe Map - George Avis, occupier, Beershop, East Mersea [
c1843 owned by Hannah Clarke [ IA01_HAN_001 ]
1848 George Avey, beerhouse keeper (but where ?) [Whites - WHI_1848_159 ]
Heather Haward thinks this is George Avis.
1855 John Gunn, traders, [ Kelly's 1855 ]
1861 Benjamin Heard, Inn Keeper [ Census]
1863 Benj. Heard, shopkeeper [ White's WHI_1863_177]
1880 Dog & Pheasant a free house owned by a Mr Wilson who also owns Home Farm in occupation of Mr Death, farmer. [ John Bennett notes at ERO JBB_SH03_090 ]
1881 Charles Mead, Innkeeper [Census] Charles is brother of Jane Pullen nee Mead who was at the Peldon Rose.
1891 Charles E. Mead, Innkeeper [Census]
1894 Charles Mead, commercial, Kelly's 1894
1909 James Henry Death, 28, farmer, married Violet Bullock of East Mersea. Violet's father was Charles Bullock, Publican
Before 1915 Photo [ PG2_217 ]
1917 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1917
1922 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1922
1925 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1925
1928 Building plan for reconstruction - ERO D/RLw Pb1/1630
1929 F. Mycroft, Kelly's 1929
1932 Herbert Thomas Hone, Kelly's 1932 (brother of Ronnie Hone of Sailing and Social Club - see DM1_AB3_020_019 )
Dec 1936 Mr & Mrs J. Scholey have left the Golf Club to become proprietors of the Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea [ PA1_JAY_THM_GOL_PIC17 ]
1937 Jn. Scholey, Kelly's 1937
1946 September John Scholey lincensee [ DM2_AB10_069_001 ]
c1947 School photo with caption "Roma Fulcher's father was landlord of the Dog & Pheasant." [ RG11_397 ]
1965 Photo including Harry Fulcher, landlord of Dog & Pheasant [ PA1_HEM_AB2_PIC01 ]
July 1980 advertisement for Dog & Pheasant. John & Evonne Rann [ MICA_DKY_016 ]


Related Images

 The Dog and Pheasant Inn, East Mersea - where the old yields pride of place to the new, as though wishing to retire, after so many centuries of service, from the island's present highway; and where nature, not wanting to lose so old an acquaintance, weaves about it a protective and harmonious curtain of creeper.
 Postcard, not mailed, but with King George VI stamp. Drawing by S.J. Heady 47.  GWD_KIM_031GWD_KIM_031
The "Dog and Pheasant" Inn, East Mersea - where the old yields pride of place to the new, as though wishing to retire, after so many centuries of service, from the island's present highway; and where nature, not wanting to lose so old an acquaintance, weaves about it a protective and harmonious curtain of creeper.
Postcard, not mailed, but with King George VI stamp. Drawing by S.J. Heady 47.
1947
 The old Dog and Pheasant East Mersea. Postcard 101936.  LH4_010LH4_010
The old Dog and Pheasant East Mersea. Postcard 101936.
 Dog and Pheasant Pub, East Mersea. Trumans.  LH52_047LH52_047
Dog and Pheasant Pub, East Mersea. Trumans.
1980s
 Dog and Pheasant Public House, East Mersea.  MLD_PUB_003MLD_PUB_003
Dog and Pheasant Public House, East Mersea.
15 August 2007
 Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea - a Cleghorn postcard.
 Licensee C. Wopling. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's Fine Pale and Mild Ales and Porter.
 Cart on the left is Octavius Blyth, Donyland Brewery.
 In the 1920s, a new building was added at the west end. The old part was later used as a restaurant, and in 2010 was converted to holiday accommodation.
 In earlier days, the pub was known as the Grey Goose.
 Photograph used in Business as Usual by Brian Jay, page 31.  MMC_P755_107MMC_P755_107
Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea - a Cleghorn postcard.
Licensee C. Wopling. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's Fine Pale and Mild Ales and Porter.
Cart on the left is Octavius Blyth, Donyland Brewery.
In the 1920s, a new building was added at the west end. The old part was later used as a restaurant, and in 2010 was converted to holiday accommodation.
In earlier days, the pub was known as the Grey Goose.
Photograph used in Business as Usual by Brian Jay, page 31.
 East Mersea Dog and Pheasant, before the new part was added to the front in the 1920s. The sign on the front says C. & W. R. Seabrook's Fine Pale & Mild Ales & Porter. Another copy of this postcard was mailed 1915.
 Postcard 78460.  PG2_217PG2_217
East Mersea Dog and Pheasant, before the new part was added to the front in the 1920s. The sign on the front says C. & W. R. Seabrook's Fine Pale & Mild Ales & Porter. Another copy of this postcard was mailed 1915.
Postcard 78460.
Before 1915
ID: PUBS_DAP


This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.