Mersea Pubs - old and new Fountain Hotel

'Old' Fountain Hotel
East Road, near The Fox

The 'old' Fountain on East Road with The Fox in the distance

The 'old' Fountain. On the bench are Dolley Green, Gertie Lilley, Georgie Boggis & sister Empsie. Mr Boggis landlord. Charles Boggis, who ran the Pub stands in the doorway whilst his son, George, poses in front of the window.

1871 at the Fountain. James Smith, Labourer Thatcher, Mary Smith, shopkeeper, Edith Smith age 13 scholar. [Census]
1881 James S. Smith, Beer House Keeper & Seed Grower [Census]
17 Jul 1894 Mr Samuel come to Fountain with work for first time [MMC_P765_014]
13 Jan 1901 James Smith died - Peldon gravestone [ MMC_P753_A_095 ]
1901 Mary A. Smith, Farmer & Beer House keeper [Census]
April 1911 Census - at the Fountain are Charles Boggis age 46 In Keeper, Julia Boggis 47 wife, Florence Boggis 24 barmaid ...
16 Oct 1911 Alfred Martin went to 'The Fountain' [ Edith Smith diary MMC_P765_044 ]

'New' Fountain Hotel
at Queens Corner. Opened c1913. There was a plan for a railway to Mersea at the time, and there were suggestions that East Road would become Station Road and that the Fountain would be the Station Hotel, but the railway was never built.

The 'new' Fountain at Queens Corner c1920. The licensee named is Edith Smith

Berry's bus passing the Fountain at Queens Corner. The licensee is Edith Smith but there is now a Daniell & Sons sign on the pub.

Early 1950s. L-R Dorothy Aldous nee Walker, Pon Aldous (proprietors) and helpers

The Fountain Hotel Hall. Setting for the Mill Road area Coronation Street Party

The Bar. Maurice Fletcher and Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain and full time at Gowens the sailmakers

c1985

Demolition. December 1999

19 Jan 1912 land at Queens Corner conveyed from Frederic Deane to Mrs Mary Anne Smith and Miss Edith Smith [Deeds of Fountain Hotel].
11 Nov 1913 apple trees planted at New Fountain [ Edith Smith Diary ].
1917 Miss Edith Smith, Kelly's 1917
1922 Miss Edith Smith, Kelly's 1922
23 May 1924 Fountain Inn sold by Mary Anne Smith and Mother to Colchester Brewing Company [Deeds of Fountain Hotel]
1925 Albert Kirby, Kelly's 1925
1933 Albert Wm. Osborne, Kelly's 1933
1935 the owners have become Ind Coope & Allsop [Deeds]
1937 H.E. Dinham, Kelly's 1937
1955 Arthur S. Aldous and Dorothy E. Aldous, Fountain Hotel [Electoral Roll]
1957 Joseph Henry Lewis, publican [Parish Register]
1992 the owners have become Allied Lyons [Deeds]
December 1999 Fountain Hotel demolished. Fountain Court housing was built on the site.


Related Images

 Demolition of the Fountain Hotel at Queens Corner.  FLE_013FLE_013
Demolition of the Fountain Hotel at Queens Corner.
December 1999
 A Berry bus LC7804 passing the Fountain, Queens Corner. Daniell & Sons, Fine Ales and Stout. Licensee Edith Smith. M.O. Smith has the shop on the left.
 Edith Smith was the daughter of James and Mary Ann Smith who kept the old Fountain and moved to the 'new' Fountain when it was built. Edith was born c1858. She lived in Upland House.
 Berry's 36 seater bus.  MMC_P755_152MMC_P755_152
A Berry bus LC7804 passing the Fountain, Queens Corner. Daniell & Sons, Fine Ales and Stout. Licensee Edith Smith. M.O. Smith has the shop on the left.
Edith Smith was the daughter of James and Mary Ann Smith who kept the old Fountain and moved to the 'new' Fountain when it was built. Edith was born c1858. She lived in Upland House.
Berry's 36 seater bus.
Before July 1922
ID: PUBS_FNH


This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.