Mersea Pubs - the Fox

The Fox is on East Road, West Mersea. It used to have a large clubhouse next to it, where the car park is these days. The Ploughing Match was a regular event from the 1920s to 1948 and was combined with a social evening and prizegiving in the Club House.

The Fox, West Mersea c1910

Above: c1910

The Fox, West Mersea

Club House on left next to The Fox Inn. Old King Coel strong ale. c1920

The Fox, West Mersea, 2007

Above: August 2007

1844 William Rogers, Beerhouse keeper [Whites - WHI_1844_160]
1861 William Rogers, Victualler and Seed Grower [ Census]
1863 Wm. Rogers shopkr. & vict. [ White's WHI_1863_178]
1868 Samuel Mead, Licensed Victualler [ Marriage - wife's father]
1871 Samuel Mead, Farm Labourer [Census]
1882 William Munson, Kelly's 1882
1891 William Munson, blacksmith & inn keeper, East Road [Census]
1894 William Munson, Kelly's 1894
c1905 Photo - the Fox and Fountain, East Rd. [MMC_P755_144]
1908 George Shadrach Edwards, Kelly's 1908
1911 George L. Edwards, Licensed Victualler [Census]
1921 William Welham [Electors]
1931 William Welham [Electors]
1936 John Allen Masson [Electors]
1937 Jn. Masson, Kelly's 1937
1955 Herbert W. Penton and Gertrude S. Penton [Register of Electors]
1978 Photo - Mersea Island Lions Club Members at the Fox [RG03_003 ]


Related Images

 The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.  CW6_041CW6_041
The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.
Before June 1915
 The Fox Public House, on East Road, West Mersea.  MLD_PUB_031MLD_PUB_031
The Fox Public House, on East Road, West Mersea.
6 August 2007
 West Mersea Council Cuttings Book 3 page 21.
 Mersea pub on stilts.
 West Mersea's 250 year old pub, the Fox, has spent nearly a month on stilts as part of a £16,000 modernisation plan.
</p><p>Behind the modernisation, which has created 2,000 squaare feet more space are two Mersea men, ex-fisherman Ron Garriock and business man Dave Cockett.
</p><p>They bought the pub at the beginning of the year and began work about two months ago. The modernised pub - one of six pubs on the island - will include a new saloon bar and a snooker room with two tables.
</p><p>We had the back part of the pub - which is about 250 years old - up on stilts for three weeks while we built the new rooms down below, said Mr Garriock.
</p><p>Though he was a fisherman in Mersea for years, Mr Garriock got the taste of pub life helping out his mother, who used to run the Social and Sailing Club.
</p><p>He'll be leaving the sea for good to become a full-time publican with Mr Cockett. He and his wife and children are moving into the pub this week.
</p><p>They hope to open officially on July 4 but have no special plans or stunts in mind for the opening.
</p><p>By using the jacking system to hold the structure together while they built the extended bars and kitchens, it has been possible to retain many of the old beams in the pub.
</p>  WMC_SB03_023_001WMC_SB03_023_001
West Mersea Council Cuttings Book 3 page 21.
Mersea pub on stilts.
West Mersea's 250 year old pub, the Fox, has spent nearly a month on stilts as part of a £16,000 modernisation plan.

Behind the modernisation, which has created 2,000 squaare feet more space are two Mersea men, ex-fisherman Ron Garriock and business man Dave Cockett.

They bought the pub at the beginning of the year and began work about two months ago. The modernised pub - one of six pubs on the island - will include a new saloon bar and a snooker room with two tables.

"We had the back part of the pub - which is about 250 years old - up on stilts for three weeks while we built the new rooms down below," said Mr Garriock.

Though he was a fisherman in Mersea for years, Mr Garriock got the taste of pub life helping out his mother, who used to run the Social and Sailing Club.

He'll be leaving the sea for good to become a full-time publican with Mr Cockett. He and his wife and children are moving into the pub this week.

They hope to open officially on July 4 but have no special plans or stunts in mind for the opening.

By using the jacking system to hold the structure together while they built the extended bars and kitchens, it has been possible to retain many of the old beams in the pub.


16 June 1972
ID: PUBS_FOX
Source: Mersea Museum