Mersea Pubs - the Ship Inn West Mersea

The Ship in West Mersea was in The Lane. It is not known when it closed, in 1924 it was derelict and 'Taffy the Welshman' was sleeping there when he was working on the sewerage system [ WW01_291 ]. It was eventually demolished, followed by the cottages, and the City Hall was built on the site.

1881 Census has Licensed Victualar, George Aldous at Ship Inn, West Mersea. Also at same address Eleanor M. Green, general servant. John Burgess and William Munson, lodgers.

1891 Census has Licensed Victualler, George Aldous, at Ship Inn, West Mersea. Also at same address Ellen Green.

12 September 1891 George Aldous, landlord, fined for keeping his premises open in prohibited hours on a Sunday. Wm. Southgate fined for being on the premises.

1911 Census has George Aldous, retired Beer House Keeper, living at a cottage in The Lane, age 84.

The late Bill Clarry speaking on a Lions Talking Magazine many years ago, spoke of a German band which came over the North Sea each summer and toured around, one of their 'Gigs' being at The Ship. Bill was too young to go in but would peer in through the open door. [Ron Green]

Author: Tony Millatt

Related Images

 Cottages in the Lane, partially demolished, thought to be in the 1920s. The site is now The City Hall assembly hall was built on the site around 1930. The demolished cottages at one time had been The Ship Inn public house.  RG19_119RG19_119
Cottages in the Lane, partially demolished, thought to be in the 1920s. The site is now The City Hall assembly hall was built on the site around 1930. The demolished cottages at one time had been The Ship Inn public house.
1920s
ID: PUBS_SWM


This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.