Mersea Pubs - Social and Sailing Club / Willow Lodge

The Sailing and Social Club ( The Soc'n Sail ) was opened 1930 by Winifred and Ronnie Hone. They had been keeping the Victory for 10 years, and then opened the Club in Arthur Hempstead's old shed, further down Coast Road. Within a few years, this was burnt out, and the Club rebuilt further back on the site. The Club thrived for many years with a mix of customers ranging from local oystermen to well-known visitors to Mersea. After Winifred Hone died in 1970, the Club was run by her daughters, but in 1973 was sold to a Dutch gentleman, then becoming Fernandos, the Spanish restauarant Dinos, and the Willow Lodge. December 1984 the Willow Lodge was damaged by fire. c2005 re-opened as The Coast Inn.
Late in life, Winifred Hone wrote memoirs which give us a fascinating view of many of her customers of the time. See Winifred Hone Memoirs .

Sailing and Social Club, West Mersea

The first Sailing and Social Club in Arthur Hempstead's shed on Coast Road

Sailing and Social Club, West Mersea

Sailing and Social Club around 1950

Sailing and Social Club, West Mersea

Photograph used in Essex Countryside. Winifred Hone is behind the bar

Sailing and Social Club, West Mersea

Mersea Island now sports a new club and Spanish restaurant - converted from the Sailing and Social Club. July 1973

Coast Inn, West Mersea

The Coast Inn, July 2006


Early 1930s 'First building of Mersea Sailing Club destroyed by fire' [ WW01_281 ]
1970 December Winifred Hone died. Soc'n Sail was run by her daughters. [TXA03150]
1973 July 19 Sailing and Social Club has become Spanish Restaurant [ DM1_AB9_005_003 ]
1984 Willows burnt down - [ Mistral MIS_1985_026 ]
c2005 reopened as The Coast Inn


Related Images

 Coast Road, West Mersea. The first Social and Sailing Club on the right. Postcard by J. Hyde.
 This is the original club, which had been converted from Nutty Hempstead's shed. It was burnt down and then rebuilt further back from Coast Road [BJ]  RG11_079RG11_079
Coast Road, West Mersea. The first Social and Sailing Club on the right. Postcard by J. Hyde.
This is the original club, which had been converted from Nutty Hempstead's shed. It was burnt down and then rebuilt further back from Coast Road [BJ]
ID: PUBS_WDG


This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.