An early photograph of the 'old' Victory
Two ridged roofs, but the valley between has not been filled in
The valley between the ridges is now roofed over. October 1904
Inside the old Victory. John Milgate, Ernie Cudmore, William Wyatt, Ernie Wells, Zebedee Milgate, Sid Stoker, Herbert Welham, Charlie Mussett and Bob Burgess.
Around 1920 - no longer a pub but otherwise little changed.
Alec Grant - Mersea Doctor and Historian - says "The Old Victory, known as the Leather Bottle before Trafalgar, referred to in novel Mehalah" [ MBK_IWM_006 ]
In the novel "Mehalah", Baring Gould lists pubs on the island - Fountain, Fox, Dog & Pheasant and Leather Bottle [Chapter XXI]. Another page talks about the "quaint old Inn by the waterside, entitled the Leather Bottle", and yet another "Leather Bottle at The City"' Isaac Mead is said to be the host.
Baring Gould did not change the names of the other pubs listed above so it seems unlikely he would have made up the name Leather Bottle.
1837 Robert Gentry, occupier - Tithe map field 274 (by Victory)
1855 Miss Sarah King, traders, Kelly's 1855
1861 George Brand innkeeper and Patience Brand wife at Victory Public House, West Mersea. [Census]
1874 James Syer Smith, Kelly's 1874
1881 George Brand Senr Licensed Victualler [Census]
1881 shown on MAP_1881_001 at The Lane
c1890 Drawing of Victory by Francis Carruthers Gould [ MMC_P1060C ]
1891 George Brand Oyster Merchant and Publican [Census]
14 Sep 1891 Will of Henry John May of Stone House. Includes a Public House or Beerhouse called "the Victory Inn" now in the occupation of George Brand situate in Mersea Lane
1894 George Brand [ Kelly's 1894 ]
1897 shown on MAP_OS1897_E46_008_002
A 'new' Victory was built around 1907 and the license and landlord William Trim both transferred there. The 'old' Victory became a private residence.
The 'new' Victory soon after it was opened c1907
1920s. The landlord is G.R. 'Ronnie' Hone
The dance hall at the Victory was built 1924 and burnt down 1942. Photograph c1932
c1985 - Ind Coope
1907 Contract, estimate and specification for new hotel [Victory Hotel], West Mersea. Volume held at Essex Record Office Ref C1310
1911 William Trim Innkeeper [Census]
1919 George Ronald Hone and Winifred Mary Hone took over the tenancy from William Trim. Later in life Winifred wrote much about their time at the Victory, the people she met, and the activities their. See Winifred Hone Memoirs .
1922 George Hone, Kelly's 1922
1923 Plan created for Hall - ERO D/RLw Pb1/1008
1925 George Hone, Kelly's 1925
1929 Arthur G.H. Hunt, Kelly's 1929
1931 Henry William Risdon, Blanche Risdon [Register of Electors]
1933 Capt. H.A. Bleach, Kelly's 1933
1936 Harry Allen Bleach (and others) [Electors]
1937 Capt. H.A. Bleach, Kelly's 1937
1930s advertisement from Mersea Guide. Proprietor H.A.Bleach [ MD05_009 ]
1938 Mr Freestone moved from Colchester and ran the Victory until he died in 1944 [ EC73_11_085_001 ]
1 Jul 1939 after a stay of about 18 mths Mr & Mrs Stedman pf the Victory Hotel left last weekend to take up residence in Romford. [ DMussett scrapbook AB2 page 58]
12 Jul 1941 dance held in Victory Hall [ DMussett scrapbook AB3 page 16 ]
c1942 Dance Hall burnt down
1954 photo from Mersea Guide. Proprietors Mr & Mrs F.J. Madle [ MD24_022 ]
1957 Proprietor R. Chamberlain [ Mersea Guide MD27_022 ]
1986 Mr Sidney Bacon retired from Victory Hotel - Mistral MIS_1987_019 ]
Look for EC63_11_085 Essex countryside article on Victory 1938 - 44 ]
See also Brian Jay article on the Victory Courier 41, 23 Apr 1993.