|Chapter 3 Peldon after the War 1945 - 1948
To celebrate VE DAY there is a large congregation at St Mary's when a service of thanksgiving is held and on the
following evening community singing and games in the village hall with 'outdoor illuminations'. Essex County Standard 18.5.1945
VICTORY Celebrations were held on Saturday September 15. The afternoon was given over to the children, for whom a programme of sports was organised ... A bountiful tea was served in the Village Hall. In the evening an entertainment was given by Clown Sunshine ... Games ... and two solos ... concluded with dancing
Essex County Standard 21. 9 1945
Following two services at the chapel, and a harvest festival service at St Mary's there is a Thanksgiving Week in the village starting on 22nd October 1945 including such events as a jumble sale, a concert, competitions, whist drive, a display by men from the Army Fire Service and a social evening, all proceeds to the Welcome Home Fund.
18.5.1945 VE DAY Large congregation and in the evening community singing and games in the village hall
With the abolition of black-out restrictions the unofficial 'village' clock in the window of Dansie's stores comes once more into its own having been hidden behind a wooden shutter on Sundays and on week evenings for 5 and a half years. The clock was purchased by the late Mr E R Dansie who was the first in the neighbourhood to venture on a wireless receiving set, having acquired an experimental one only three months after the formation of the BBC. Very soon customers were asking for the 'wireless time' and the proprietor rightly judged that a public clock would be appreciated. The habit of setting ones watch by the shop clock was formed and has persisted through the years and there are many expressions of satisfaction on the part of local residents and of motorists and cyclists passing through Peldon at the reappearance of an old familiar friend. Essex County Standard 22.6.1945
REUNION AT RECTORY A family reunion took place at the Rectory on Tuesday to celebrate the safe return of Cadet David Wilson of the Merchant Navy, son of the Rector Rev J R Wilson B A, David arrived home on Sunday evening after having spent three years in Japan as a prisoner of war. Essex County Standard 2.11.1945
WELCOME HOME Parishioners were entertained in the Village Hall on Saturday Nov 3 by the rector (Rev J R Wilson B A) and Mrs Wilson the purpose of the gathering being to afford an opportunity of meeting their son, Cadet David Wilson of the Merchant Navy, who has recently returned from a prisoner-of-war camp in Japan. There was a large attendance and after refreshments had been served the rector called upon his son to cut an iced cake, which bore the inscription 'David welcome home'. After games and dancing the company listened to a short speech by Captain N O R Serjeant, ex-churchwarden who, on a weekend visit to Peldon, was warmly greeted by
his old friends. David also voiced his thanks to all who had remembered him during his long absence, and had come together to congratulate him on his return. Essex County Standard 9.11.1945
AWARD TO PELDON FARMER'S SON Lieut. George Scales RNVR son of Mr and Mrs E H A Scales of Harvey's Farm, Peldon, has been awarded the Croix de Guerre by the President of the Provisional Government of France. The award is for gallantry and devotion to duty. Essex County Standard 21.12.1945
See more: George Scales - Farmer
A public meeting was held in the Village Hall, Peldon, on May 2, the chair being taken by Rev J R Wilson. The attendance was small. After discussion it was decided that Victory Celebrations should be postponed to a later date.
It was proposed that a tablet to the fallen be placed in the parish church, and a framed inscription of those who served be placed in the Parish Church, The Methodist Church and the Village Hall. Essex County Standard 10.5.1946
Life goes on ... in the three remaining years covered by this book life goes on, church services, whist drives, fund-raising (the restoration of the church being back on the agenda). The WI continues its meetings. The Plough Darts Club wins the West Mersea and District League in spring 1946.
RECTOR'S SON Cadet, David Wilson, son of the rector (Rev J R Wilson B A ) after nine months at home, following a period of three-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war in Japan, left for Hull on Friday August 16 to join the motor ship WILLSDEN. Work on a farm during recent weeks as haymaker and harvester has been instrumental in restoring him to complete physical fitness
Essex County Standard 23.8.1946
During the summer holidays of 1946 the first scout camp in Peldon since 1939 brings Boy Scouts from the 74th North Lambeth Troop to camp in a meadow at Harvey's Farm. Besides trips to Mersea and Clacton they also help with the harvest. They are quickly followed on by the 7th Vauxhall Rangers who are accommodated in the Village Hall.
The Knitters's group finally disbands In March 1940, the Peldon war-time knitting party was formed by Miss Marjorie Serjeant and on Wednesday September 10  it was disbanded at the close of a delightful outing to Lowestoft by motor coach.
Essex County Standard 19.9.1947
The vicar, Rev J R Wilson, who saw the village through the war years retires in the autumn of 1947.
The Home Guard have their fourth annual reunion dinner at The White Hart Hotel West Mersea in spring 1948.
The new rector, Rev W Asbury Smith appoints his staff in 1948 and the condition of the chancel necessitates raising £200 at once for its repair.
On the final page the wedding on Saturday 10th July 1948 of my late neighbours, Norman and Joan (nee Christmas)
Baldwin, who lived opposite me in Joan's family home, an old farm cottage, Purlu, on Lower Road brings this
connection with the past right into the history of my own life here in Peldon.
Peldon History Project
Thanks to Mike Watson and Pat Wyncoll
Thanks to the Essex County Standard for permission to use the newspaper material